Premed 101 Forums

Wait List Poll Ip (Ns)

Waitlist IP (NS) Poll  

5 members have voted

1. 1. If you are on the waitlist, what is your score? *This range is just a guess

• 78+
    • 77-78
    • 76-77
    • 75-76
    • 74-75
    • 73-74
    • 72-73
    • 71-72
    • 70-71
    • <70

I wonder, since the OOP scores seem to be lower than IP, if they will go in overall order or still keep separate lists

I'm an OOP on the wait-list and it's a good question - not sure what they'll end up doing. I'm pretty sure there are a guaranteed 9ish spots for Non Maritime students so I hope they don't shrink that! Also, I'm not sure that OOP are that much lower than IP..they seem fairly close based on the other Polls

I'm an OOP on the wait-list and it's a good question - not sure what they'll end up doing. I'm pretty sure there are a guaranteed 9ish spots for Non Maritime students so I hope they don't shrink that! Also, I'm not sure that OOP are that much lower than IP..they seem fairly close based on the other Polls

They are pretty close, yes, but the OOP list usually moves a lot quicker than IP, so I would imagine this would play the biggest role in having people IP with higher scores still on the "overall' wait list. As for the guarantee of spots, this is what I'm wondering about - are the OOP slots reserved specifically for non-Nova Scotians? It seems like this is usually only the case due to funding, right? So who would be funding the OOP seats to make sure they are a sure thing? I'm not sure how that works.

Of course this is all just 100% speculation. It makes me quite curious, though.

They are pretty close, yes, but the OOP list usually moves a lot quicker than IP, so I would imagine this would play the biggest role in having people IP with higher scores still on the "overall' wait list. As for the guarantee of spots, this is what I'm wondering about - are the OOP slots reserved specifically for non-Nova Scotians? It seems like this is usually only the case due to funding, right? So who would be funding the OOP seats to make sure they are a sure thing? I'm not sure how that works.

Of course this is all just 100% speculation. It makes me quite curious, though.

From what I understand, based on some information I read earlier, seats are allocated based on provincial funding i.e. the number of NS seats are set based on the money the NS government is willing to provide. I think the only way they could give an OOP seat to a maritimers is if one of the maritime provincial governments agreed to pay for it. Someone correct me if I'm wrong!

• 1 month later...

When people get in from the waitlist, please post on here with your score so we can have an idea where the waitlist is at. It should start to move soon, some other med schools send out their acceptances today. Good luck everyone! 

• 3 weeks later...

Congrats chillendude! This means that the list doesn't move in order of score though. I'm on the NS waitlist with a 72.9 and still haven't heard anything. Fingers crossed there will be a few more seats that open up!

That means they probably go by the elusive z-scores.. which they don't share with us. Darn, I was hoping it would be easier to predict the waitlist movement :/ Anyway congrats to those who have received acceptances :)

Info on z-scores

http://forums.premed101.com/index.php?/topic/66295-dal-final-score/

Actually, the minimum GPA of 3.3/4 gets you 8/15 points (going up 1 point for every 0.1 GPA increment), and the minimum MCAT of 24 gives you 2/10.

The average interview score for accepted Nova Scotians during last year's cycle was 29.23/40, the average supplemental score was 23.99, the average GPA was 3.82, and the average MCAT was 29.15.

These numbers might not be all that meaningful for this year's cycle, though. Remember it's the total z score that determines how applicants are ranked, not the score out of 100. The z score just corrects for differences in variance among the different score components and is a more fair measure. For example, the total z score would be calculated as follows:

40[(interview score - average interview score)/standard deviation of interview scores] + 35[(supplemental score - average supplemental score)/standard deviation of supplemental scores] + 25[(academic score - average academic score)/standard deviation of academic scores].

An applicant who is on average 1 standard deviation above the mean on each component would have a z score of 100. An average applicant would have a z score of 0.

The admissions committee will provide waitlisted/rejected Maritimers with their overall scores, but not their z scores, as this would allow applicants to determine their position on the waitlist.

Archived