Premed 101 Forums

Feedback On Where To Go After Undergrad

Hello, 

I am currently in my 3rd year of undergrad (Major in Biology and minor in music), my first year was really bad, second year got better, and thus far I am doing very well in my third year (hoping to end with an "A" this year). This will bring my average to about a "B"

I am working my butt off and I hope that I should be able to achieve the same next year or better. My cGPA will not be very good for Med-school, but if I apply to Queens, Western, uOttawa, and Mac. I think I should have decent chance. (also assuming that my MCAT will be well done)

I am planning not to apply until I graduate undergrad that way they count my 4th year when they do the calculations.

My Issue is that I do not know what I should do with my year gap that I will have between graduation and med school (if I get in). I was thinking of either doing a masters or a 5th year of university.

Just wanted some feedback on what you might think would be a wiser route for me.

Thank you!  

The description of your grades leaves us wondering what your GPA range actually is- but if your overall GPA is in the B range - then definitely take a 5th year if your most recent years arent 3.8+

Yes my GPA is the the B range. Would it be wise to do a 5th year and apply to med-school during that year (aka, Oct. of 2016)?

Yes my GPA is the the B range. Would it be wise to do a 5th year and apply to med-school during that year (aka, Oct. of 2016)?

Well, no one here knows your GPA, so unless you state it we can't say.

But logic would seem to reason that you would be best to apply after the 5th year, based on the little info we have.

"B" average is a bit vague but if you apply during your 5th year, the grades from that year won't count towards your application. If your GPA is high enough without considering that final year, go for it! If it's still too low (<3.6, for example), apply after 5th with the higher GPA.

Archived