Premed 101 Forums

Quite A Dilemma - Help ! (Uwo Bmsc Vs U Of T Life Sci)

Hi! 

I got accepted to Western's Medical Science and UToronto's Life Sciences ! - A very exciting time to be in :)

I'm having quite a dilemma on what program I should choose. I happen to be an international student (although I lived most of

my life here in Canada) so I kinda have to apply to an American medical school.

Since I am living in British Columbia, Victoria I need to move to Ontario anyways so I'll just discuss the pros of each school:

UWO Medical Science

Pros : 

• Small classes 
  • easier to get decent grades (?) - No grade deflation at the least 
  • MOST IMPORTANTLY -  AMCAS GPA conversion : 80% and up = A = 4.0 GPA  --- Important for American meds.
  • cheaper than U of T (UWO 23,000 $ - tuition only vs U of T 39,000$ -  tuition only) 
  • Beautiful city + campus :) 
  • I heard like 30% go to medical school 
  • Easier to approach professors I guess - since the classes are smaller - more research opportunities. 

U of T Life Science 

Pros: 

• Very good reputation - World Class 
  • Undergraduate research opportunities - nuf said 
  • opportunities in general - Toronto the city itself is an opportunity 
  • Known to American med schools 
  • Vibrant city and university club life 
  • If I do well - world wide opportunities due to reputation.

Anyone please give me insight! 

Thanks! 

I went to western so I'm gonna be bias

I would choose it again

In terms of smaller class sizes it only happens in upper years when you take specialized courses.

Although if you choose electives that aren't that well known you can end up with a very small class size

Since your also an international student I would take the financial aspect into account as well seeing that you are paying $16000 dollars less per year at western

Also rent would be cheaper vs downtown toronto where it's not uncommon to pay 1600 a month or more for a 1 bedroom condo

If money isn't that issue then maybe u of t? I never went to the school but my friends that did undergrad there had varied responses as to whether they would recommend their life science program again

I went to western so I'm gonna be bias

I would choose it again

In terms of smaller class sizes it only happens in upper years when you take specialized courses.

Although if you choose electives that aren't that well known you can end up with a very small class size

Since your also an international student I would take the financial aspect into account as well seeing that you are paying $16000 dollars less per year at western

Also rent would be cheaper vs downtown toronto where it's not uncommon to pay 1600 a month or more for a 1 bedroom condo

If money isn't that issue then maybe u of t? I never went to the school but my friends that did undergrad there had varied responses as to whether they would recommend their life science program again

Thanks for the input Cookiemonster lol . Can you please give me an estimate of a how many students there are in a typical first year class?

Thanks for the input Cookiemonster lol . Can you please give me an estimate of a how many students there are in a typical first year class?

I know for 1st year biology there were about 1200 kids in that class at western. It was split up into 2 sections(MW lecture or TuThr lectures)

You have to maintain a certain GPA(approx 80%) to continue on the BMSc route, higher for some programs in the BMSc module i.e pathology

In 3rd and 4th year the class size gets smaller depending on what  you take. I think for 3rd year phys we had about 300-400 people? keep in mind that other faculty can take this course as well i.e health science, general science, people who do a minor in medical science etc

The smallest class size i had was for a language elective which was about 25ish people

Someone correct me if i'm wrong but I heard that UofT had about 3000 kids in their 1st year biology class? They teach the class in con hall?

Just a couple notes here:

I would caution against the emphasis you are putting on undergraduate reputation in Canada. I think this is not nearly as important as a lot of people make it seem...

I would also caution you that more research opportunity = more research competition, particularly at schools known to have a lot of research funding.

Finally, I agree with above. There is no way that 30% go to medical school. Maybe 30% of those that apply, but there are hardly enough spots in Ontario for any non-UWO students if 30% pursue an MD degree.

Both schools have excellent programs and would be alot closer in characteristics than you expect.     Class sizes at UWO are not small.   +1000 in 1st/2nd year Chem / Bio.   Not really a differentiator between schools.     

Research - depends more on your personal ability to go after openings - they dont come looking for you at either school.     Being international you need to look if you are elible for a paid position or not - might exclude you from many opportunities.    That said -  many students do research unpaid anyways for the experience.   

U of T is big city ---  depends on your personal needs and expectations.   You might be at the library full times anyways if you need a GPA=4.0

Be realistic on your opportunity to apply to a Canadian Medical school after your undergrad.   Very few International students spots.    McGill competition is insane.  Only 3 International students accepted last year.

http://www.mcgill.ca/medadmissions/applying/admissions-numbers

U of T reputation might give you a small leg-up in American medical school applications when applying to top tier schools  --- but you will need very high GPA and MCAT to apply to them.  

Any chance you could be a Canadian Citizen or permanent resident before end of 4 year undergrad ? --- that is a whole different story.   Or USA resident ?

If your plan is 1000% medical school ---  are you doing the right approach ?       Would you be better off following a path in your home passport country. 

Both schools have excellent programs and would be alot closer in characteristics than you expect.     Class sizes at UWO are not small.   +1000 in 1st/2nd year Chem / Bio.   Not really a differentiator between schools.     

Research - depends more on your personal ability to go after openings - they dont come looking for you at either school.     Being international you need to look if you are elible for a paid position or not - might exclude you from many opportunities.    That said -  many students do research unpaid anyways for the experience.   

U of T is big city ---  depends on your personal needs and expectations.   You might be at the library full times anyways if you need a GPA=4.0

Be realistic on your opportunity to apply to a Canadian Medical school after your undergrad.   Very few International students spots.    McGill competition is insane.  Only 3 International students accepted last year.

http://www.mcgill.ca/medadmissions/applying/admissions-numbers

U of T reputation might give you a small leg-up in American medical school applications when applying to top tier schools  --- but you will need very high GPA and MCAT to apply to them.  

Any chance you could be a Canadian Citizen or permanent resident before end of 4 year undergrad ? --- that is a whole different story.   Or USA resident ?

If your plan is 1000% medical school ---  are you doing the right approach ?       Would you be better off following a path in your home passport country. 

Thanks for the reply! 

I'm basically a Canadian in the sense that I studied here for the most of my life so I would have a harder time in my passport country than I would here.  

Do you know if I can get a permanent residency in Canada if I do a co-op at my school?

Just a couple notes here:

I would caution against the emphasis you are putting on undergraduate reputation in Canada. I think this is not nearly as important as a lot of people make it seem...

I would also caution you that more research opportunity = more research competition, particularly at schools known to have a lot of research funding.

Finally, I agree with above. There is no way that 30% go to medical school. Maybe 30% of those that apply, but there are hardly enough spots in Ontario for any non-UWO students if 30% pursue an MD degree.

Thanks for the input! 

It says 30 percent of the graduates are in the medical field ! 

http://www.schulich.uwo.ca/bmsc/current_students/after_grad/career_survey.html

Thanks for the input! 

It says 30 percent of the graduates are in the medical field ! 

http://www.schulich.uwo.ca/bmsc/current_students/after_grad/career_survey.html

Ah ya that makes more sense --   27% of the 353 that graduate from BMSc go on to Medicine - so about 100 people.     Note that BMSc is competitive to advance into year 2-3-4.  Looks like maybe half of the people starting year 1 actually finish with a BMSc.   Many will elect to finish out with a BSc instead. 

http://www.schulich.uwo.ca/bmsc/current_students/admission_progression/index.html

mac123 do think seriously about your way forward after Undergrad.  As an international student there are very few Canadian medical school opportunities.  Likewise do same research for USA. 

I dont know anything about how to achieve citizenship. You should talk this thru with parents/guardians and see if citizenship is at all a possibility.    If you have already lived in Canada for a long time maybe that helps.

Check this stuff out for USA

http://premedusa.blogspot.com/2013/05/medical-schools-admitting-internationals.html

https://www.aamc.org/students/download/403926/data/quickanswerstocommonquestions.pdf

Archived