Premed 101 Forums

How Many Hours Have You Spent Preparing For Your Mmi?

MMI Prep  

102 members have voted

1. 1. How many hours have you spent preparing for your MMI?

• < 5
    • 5 - 10
    • 10 - 25
    • 25 - 50
    • > 50

I dont think it is that much of a surprise, if someone wants to read Doing right plus basic health care knowledge it will be already in that range 

Suppose so - i guess i wasn't taking into consideration reading and other things like that. More so thought strictly on "practicing" scenarios etc.

Depends what you define as preparing, I guess. In terms of actually answering mock MMI scenarios, I probably did like 10-15 hours, but if you factor in reading time, discussing issues and scenarios with other people, etc. it would be much higher. To be honest, I wish I spent less time answering mock questions. Once you get to a certain point of comfort putting your thoughts into words, I think your time is better spent just immersing yourself in healthcare issues/learning (basic) ethics/reflecting on personal events. The chance that you get asked a question that you've "practiced" is so incredibly low, and rehearsed answers come off as just that anyways.

• 3 weeks later...

I think everyone is different. Too much prep can kill you, so can too little prep. I generally find when I walk into an MMI everything I practice falls out the window. 

Haha so true. No matter how much I read or prep, it all depends on what I can think of in those two minutes, so anything goes really. And the best answer always come to me after the interview d'oh. It's not like a test, where you need to study X amount of hours of X subject to be able to ace it. 

Last year, I prepped a lot for my MMI and got rejected. Interestingly, for the Casper test, which is very similar to the MMI, I found myself just writing from the heart, as I literally had no time to think, and I made it to the interview stage twice, even though I felt like I didn't do well at ALL as I didn't give the traditional MMI responses.. I prepped again a lot for my MMI this year, way more than last year, but I gotta admit that towards the end, I was so burned out and done with it all that I toned down the prep and just tried to be myself and go with it, rather than read and regurgitate the usual insincere stuff over and over again. No clue whether I actually improved from last year, even though I did way more prep overall. If I have to do this whole thing over again, I would definitely read inspirational books and autobiographies about real people and their experiences and struggles, rather than the usual Doing Right ethics and healthcare stuff ... and also focus more on showing them my best, most passionate version, rather than trying to impress them with stuff from my readings and prep. 

I spent a very long time indeed. Not only researching the MMI itself and potential questions, but also attending practice sessions, practicing on my own, reading up relevant issues in health care etc. I honestly still felt underprepared after all that. 

In terms of just PRACTICING MMI situations, I do think I clocked in at nearly 40 hours, maybe more. But there was a lot more time spent researching as well. But that's just how I personally operate.

Haha so true. No matter how much I read or prep, it all depends on what I can think of in those two minutes, so anything goes really. And the best answer always come to me after the interview d'oh. It's not like a test, where you need to study X amount of hours of X subject to be able to ace it. 

Last year, I prepped a lot for my MMI and got rejected. Interestingly, for the Casper test, which is very similar to the MMI, I found myself just writing from the heart, as I literally had no time to think, and I made it to the interview stage twice, even though I felt like I didn't do well at ALL as I didn't give the traditional MMI responses.. I prepped again a lot for my MMI this year, way more than last year, but I gotta admit that towards the end, I was so burned out and done with it all that I toned down the prep and just tried to be myself and go with it, rather than read and regurgitate the usual insincere stuff over and over again. No clue whether I actually improved from last year, even though I did way more prep overall. If I have to do this whole thing over again, I would definitely read inspirational books and autobiographies about real people and their experiences and struggles, rather than the usual Doing Right ethics and healthcare stuff ... and also focus more on showing them my best, most passionate version, rather than trying to impress them with stuff from my readings and prep. 

Could not have said this better myself. My MMIs this year were so unscripted/natural near the end, so I really have no idea to gauge how I did. Last year I was entirely prep based and thought I did amazing only to be rejected. Who knows, we'll see what happens

I hate to say this, but before my MMI prep, I was ignorant on many issues of medicine including ethical decision making and especially about the healthcare system. I must've spent the majority of my reading break reading up on these issues. Through my prep, however, I think it gave me a wake-up call for what a profession in medicine actually entails... I just feel bad for not realizing this sooner :P

Archived