Premed 101 Forums

Oldest First Year Med School Student You Know Of

I will be 33 I start my first medical classes at UBC!!!! WOOT.  I graduated from university 10 years ago, wrote the MCAT 4 years ago, and I was rejected 3 years in a row without getting an interview. Old man - sure, but I know why medical school is for me. 

I will be 33 I start my first medical classes at UBC!!!! WOOT. I graduated from university 10 years ago, wrote the MCAT 4 years ago, and I was rejected 3 years in a row without getting an interview. Old man - sure, but I know why medical school is for me.

Almost the same for me... nearly 32 when I start this fall. Fourth time applying, zero interviews until this application cycle (4 interviews this cycle!).

31 and will be starting in the fall. The only thing that scares me about being "older" in med school is keeping up at the social events. Nobody warns you that hangovers triple in length when you hit 30... lol!

Man, I'm 23 and I can't even keep up with hard partying. I hear people my age talk about going to the bar Thurs, Fri, and Sat night. Hells no. I'm in bed on a Friday night by 9 pm eating pizza and watching Game of Thrones. So don't worry, there are people of all ages who like to take it easy. I still go out and have fun, but it isn't worth it for me to get absolutely trashed and waste my whole weekend being hung over when I have house or yard work to do that weekend! By the time people reach med school (22+) plenty have responsibilities like kids, owning a house, a spouse/partner, etc. So I don't think you need to worry about the pace of partying you'll find people on your level at any age :)

31 and will be starting in the fall. The only thing that scares me about being "older" in med school is keeping up at the social events. Nobody warns you that hangovers triple in length when you hit 30... lol!

That is totally something I have been thinking about. Haha. I am 33 and starting in the fall. I need about 3 days to recover from a good night out.....what am I talking about, like I could stay out past 10pm in the first place ;)

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

my family doctor who graduated not so long ago (probably less than 15 years ago, shes in her late 30s) said when she started her first year of medical school there was a 70 year old guy in her class. She said she did not remember if he graduated and told me don't let age make you not want to go for it.

Archived