Premed 101 Forums

Out Of Province Disadvantage?

I just recently have been accepted to Dalhousie Med (I'm from Ontario), and I was wondering if I would be a great disadvantage when it comes to applying to Ontario Residency Programs if I decided to attend med school out east at Dal?

In other words, do you have an advantage by being a local resident in terms of residency positions?

Thanks in advance!

a school will select more of their own students typically just due to networking, contacts etc but you are not at a disadvantage in general.

And also because students tend to rank their home school higher, so thats why it looks like all the residents in one school look like they come from that same school.

As long as you do some electives and observerships in your province/city of choice, you will be on par with those who went to school there. Residencies want students who will continue to work in that area post-residency, so if you demonstrate your commitment to the region you won't be at any disadvantage. In fact, you can spin it to be a strength (new life experiences, work in smaller community etc. and then want to translate those experiences back to your home city). I wouldn't worry about it at all, just seek out opportunities in Ontario throughout medical school. I say this as someone who had a similar concern (but with a different province) and just matched back to my province of choice.

And also because students tend to rank their home school higher, so thats why it looks like all the residents in one school look like they come from that same school.

often the students rank their home school higher as often the home school is close to home base (particularly with all the geographical biases in the system). They may even want to set up their practises there.

still particularly for competitive specialties it doesn't matter much :) Schools want the best people they can get, regardless of where they were trained.

• 2 years later...
On 20/03/2015 at 10:41 AM, rmorelan said:

often the students rank their home school higher as often the home school is close to home base (particularly with all the geographical biases in the system). They may even want to set up their practises there.

still particularly for competitive specialties it doesn't matter much :) Schools want the best people they can get, regardless of where they were trained.

Reviving this thread just to confirm that I understand properly.

My home province is Nova Scotia. If I attended medical school in Ontario, I would still be able to complete my residency back in Nova Scotia if I so wished, correct? I wouldn't face any major disadvantages for training outside of my home province?

Thank you in advance

1 hour ago, VanillaUK said:

Reviving this thread just to confirm that I understand properly.

My home province is Nova Scotia. If I attended medical school in Ontario, I would still be able to complete my residency back in Nova Scotia if I so wished, correct? I wouldn't face any major disadvantages for training outside of my home province?

Thank you in advance

The same caveats apply anywhere - it's going to be easier to match in the school and province you do your training because of contacts, networking, etc...  People have stated that electives at Dal are difficult to get OOP, but I'm not sure how true that is.  Generally speaking, ON is more competitive to match to.  

From my experiences on the interview trail this year there was only a small amount of regional bias in interview invitations, especially not at the larger programs. I met a few people who didn’t receive invitations from their home program but did from others. Scheduling electives in your preferred location/specialty, performing well on them, and making meaningful connections with people at conferences is more important than what med school you go to. 

Archived