Premed 101 Forums

Withdraw Or Stay

I am in my second year of B.Sc. In my first year, I ended up withdrawing from a course. This semester, I am sitting with A's in 3 of my classes and 2 of my classes aren't going so good (in the 60%'s). I am thinking about withdrawing from one course (organic chem 263) so that it wont damage my GPA too much. Not too sure what to do at this point. Do medical schools look at the withdrawals (W's) or not? Since I already have one W, would it hurt me if I got another? If I keep both courses, I will get around a 3.2 GPA but if I drop one course I will have a minimum 3.5 GPA. School advisors aren't too helpful either. Most just tell me that they are not sure what Medical Schools would think. Any advice?

Thats another thing I am worried about. My first semester, after I withdrew from one course, I was left with 3 courses. Second and third semester I took 5 courses. I also did a course in the spring. Even this semester, I am taking 5 courses, so if I drop one, I will be left with 4 courses. 

What is your cGPA going to be be at the end of year 2 ?   Consider you will need a cGPA of atleast 3.80 to have any success at applying in Canada. More like 3.9 (& higher) for Ontario schools or anywhere out-of-province.  Where are you considered in-province ?   

Many schools look at entire cGPA.  Some schools let you use the best 2 years results and others allow you to drop your lowest grade each year (UofT)  ONLY IF you have full course load in all 4 years.   Some schools dont count summer courses in the cGPA calc.  

Look up the rules at the schools where you might apply and especially where you are in province first before deciding about dropping.

All schools in Canda and USA will see your entire transcript  ---  If you do get to interview stage, they will ask what was up.

My  cPGA after this year, if I do drop the course is going to be 3.2. I am in Alberta. UofA asks for one year of full course load and drop the lowest year, provided it is not the one with the full course load. My first year GPA was pretty bad. That's why I don't want to mess up this year by risking it and not dropping the course.

You have to make this decision now,but you also need to think strategically about your class  selection. if organic chem 263 is not required for your degree or as a prereq for  med school, why would you sign up for it? Chances are it's going to be difficult class, and judging by your past performance, you are struggling. Those who get 90% in difficult courses might think differenty, but those  bordeline need to be smart with class selection. GPA is paramount.

Actually, all starts with choosing you undergrad.  You better do what you are good at, and select classess carefully to get the best chances for high GPA.

I assume you really do your best and work as hard as you can - because if not, the advice is even simpler: get your act together and work harder. You'll see the effect on your GPA.

Archived