Premed 101 Forums

Texts? (Attn: highschool students and first-year undergrads)

Guest ploughboy

Guest ploughboy

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

Hash: SHA1

Hi guys,

My turn to ask you a question. What textbooks did you use for senior highschool biology and chemistry? I took my highschool sciences before some of you were born, so I'd like to refresh my memory a bit before tackling medschool bio and chem pre-reqs.

Cheers,

pb

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----

Version: GnuPG v1.2.1 (FreeBSD)

iD4DBQE+3Pes/HNgbK3bC2wRAkr4AJi9m2cNH4T4BgQrU5tDaKC9tqbKAJwPwHo6

HvjbZYimROQKKbkUik5ObQ==

=ZTfc

-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

Guest druggist

To tell you the truth plough boy, using a "premed" chemistry textbook, or a first year inorganic chemistry/general chemistry text, may facilitate your learning MUCH more than just simply using a high school one. The reason Im saying this is because the high school books will NOT contain most of the information you will be learning in univ b/c most of the info in HS is wrong--well, earlier theories I guess taht profs in university refer to as "what we used ot think." Try a first year chem book, they usually have great explanations and reading over it before attending should give you a great idea of what is going on.

Just a suggestion...

Maybe no help

Cheers

Guest UWOMED2005

My High school used two books: one that sucked, and one you could buy (Neil Campbell's Biology.) Campbell ended up being my 1st year university text try it. . . it's well written, relatively easy to read, and has most of the material at the MCAT level.

Guest medicator007

Ploughboy,

If you want to get your hands on a thorough Biology book, that is brilliantly written, up-to date and WELL WORTH the investment.... Pick up, as UWOMED2005 suggested, Neil Campbell's textbook titled "Biology" which I last heard was in its 6th edition.

To give you an idea of the books worth... I first purchased it for use in CEGEP (Quebec's senior high school), and loved it. Even in upper level undergraduate and the odd graduate course here and there that i took in my biology degree I would often refer back to that textbook if I needed an explanation on some of the stuff we were covering in class.

As Netter is the bible of anatomy (my opinion), so too is Campbell to biology (my opinion again!)

Medicator007

Guest peachy

I love Campbell too - no need to shell out the $$$ for the 6th edition, though, imho. I've used the 3rd, 4th, and 5th editions for various courses, and they've all been great, with no significant differences between recent versions.

Guest EMHC

I agree with the others. Campbell's "Biology" is great. All the info inside is easy to understand, well written and in line with the MCAT. The 5th Edition is very similar to the 6th Edition. The 5th edition is (or atleast I last saw it) going for $50 at the University book store.

I'm graduating from a Calgary high school tomorrow, and I'm currently in Chemisty 30.

We're using the British Columbia edition of Nelson Chemistry, which for some areas of Chem 30 isn't so hot, but for others it is really quite good (it handles redox reactions pretty well).

Ditto everyone else on Campbell for Biology.

Guest AD16

I have both nelson chem and bio grade 12 on CD. I might be able to send them to you if you really need them. There the exact textbook but on CD. Also have nelson chem 11 on cd too.

Guest ploughboy

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

Hash: SHA1

Thanks all! I'll find myself some dead-tree editions of your recommendations (so that I can scribble in the margins)

pb

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----

Version: GnuPG v1.2.1 (FreeBSD)

iD8DBQE+4O/3/HNgbK3bC2wRAjLtAJ9k6HE1jGd1cIcJfeLvb6NOPLONpgCgolt+

NnnBiUI0ZsYqCJ7ridrxOqk=

=ETjo

-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

Archived