Premed 101 Forums

Renting Vs. Living At Home

Just curious what people's thoughts would be on living at home vs. renting, if one was attending medical school in their hometown. 

At present, I would be inclined to rent (single apartment) for the pre-clerkship years (1 & 2) since I would want to

A.) be able to totally focus on my studies and

B.) be totally immersed and involved with my class/classmates/med school experience.

Does that make sense?

Any pros/cons?

I think I would then consider living at home during years 3 and 4 when

A.) I need more moral support/encouragment (haha)

B.) won't have as heavy "classroom learning" and

C.) may be travelling for rotations/electives/interviews anyway

Can anyone comment on my train of thought or offer their own experience/ideas?

Thanks for any comments!

Just curious what people's thoughts would be on living at home vs. renting, if one was attending medical school in their hometown. 

At present, I would be inclined to rent (single apartment) for the pre-clerkship years (1 & 2) since I would want to 

A.) be able to totally focus on my studies and 

B.) be totally immersed and involved with my class/classmates/med school experience.

Does that make sense?

Any pros/cons?

I think I would then consider living at home during years 3 and 4 when 

A.) I need more moral support/encouragment (haha)

B.) won't have as heavy "classroom learning" and 

C.) may be travelling for rotations/electives/interviews anyway

Can anyone comment on my train of thought or offer their own experience/ideas?

Thanks for any comments!

If your parents and siblings are chilled out and will leave you alone to do your own thing, living at home is a way better deal. Less money, help around when you need it, cooked meals without any work etc.

Also agree with this.

I do know of people at different schools who moved out for preclerkship and then moved back home for clerkship. It worked well for them.

Have you thought about getting a room in a house with room mates? If you found other professional and/or graduate students, odds are they would be similar in habits to you. Odds are they wouldn't clean though (most people clean up their dishes and stuff but then never pick up a broom, it's annoying haha). That's my only thing about having a room mate actually. But you would save hundreds of dollars compared to living alone, so you could justify having a cleaning service come in once or twice a month. 

You could try to have dinner with your parents as much as possible and take leftovers. Like the posters above said, not having to deal with food is amazing. 

I'm in my early 30s now and a lot of my fondest memories of my 20s are from having room mates. I also found it was nice to be around other students who come home for the day and study. You know? It's also nice to live walking distance to campus and immerse yourself in school like you mentioned. 

Also keep in mind that getting a couch, kitchen table, kitchen supplies, etc., adds up and weighs you down for future travelling (moving and storage is really expensive). If you got a room in a house with the common furniture set up, you would only need a bed and a desk, and maybe a dresser. 

Depends on your circumstances. I'd consider how long your commute would be from home, and what your difference in ability to focus will actually be (sounds like your home environment is supportive - living alone may not necessarily be conducive to focusing for someone who isn't used to not living with other people).

Depends on your parents/home. Will they leave you alone or want you to be home for dinner and "follow their rules"? If I could have my own office and space to relax at home I would be all over that but if I had to share most of the space with my family - heck no, they're too nosy and won't ever leave me alone. It might actually be nicer to find a house with classmates where you have plenty of space to yourself and can go home when you need the extra support (on your terms).

• 1 month later...

Live on your own or with friends for sure. I've had countless priceless memories this year and years past from doing such. The money is inconsequential with an LOC.

pretty much - it is more personal choice really. I mean don't go nuts with the LOC (ha, always have to add that - rates will rise!), but yeah you are at the point where you can safely make the choice that works best for you.

Pre-clerk = home

Clerk = place close to school/hospital 

:D

I actually know people who have done this the other way, and it's worked out well. Preclerkship living away from home, when you have more free time and more class events. Clerkship living at home, where you get meals cooked for you and don't have to worry about house stuff when you are tired from your shifts.

I actually know people who have done this the other way, and it's worked out well. Preclerkship living away from home, when you have more free time and more class events. Clerkship living at home, where you get meals cooked for you and don't have to worry about house stuff when you are tired from your shifts.

plus it means that on electives you won't be paying rent on a place you won't actually be a for months potentially.

Archived