Premed 101 Forums

Usmle For Cmg?

Hello!

I am currently a first year med in Canada. I have been told mixed messages about writing the USMLE (some say do it to open more doors in the future, others saying its useless for Canadians...). My summer this year is not going to be too busy, and I thought if I had/wanted to write the USMLE this would be the prime time. What are people's thoughts on USMLE for CMGs? Is it worth my time and $500 exam fee?

Is there any chance at all that you might go the US someday for training or work? I haven't ended up using mine, but I haven't regretted writing it - the extra review helped me consolidate knowledge for clerkship and residency. BTW have you covered all the areas in medical school - usually Step 1 is written at the end of preclerkship, i.e. after 2nd year in a 4 year curriculum...

I guess that's another question. We probably covered half of usmle contents... but I am pretty sure my 2nd summer will be jam packed and I don't want to worry too much about it. Think I can study my way through using textbooks? I never attended any mcat courses but ended up doing very well on my own... so maybe?

Your choice.. spend a larger part of your summer after 1st year learning the rest of USMLE material (which will help you for 2nd year).. or concurrently study US-specific material along with your 2nd year material, so you can be ready to write Step 1 early in the summer after 2nd year (or even concurrently with your preclerkship comprehensive exam, if you have one).

I'm writing it in December probably. You definitely can't write it after MS1... no way in ****. Better after MS2. PM me if you need help with the process.

You could write it after MS1, it would just involve a lot of studying for stuff that you'd learn in MS2 anyway.

Plus, as Lactic Folly says, a decent reason to write the USMLEs is prep for clerkship, which makes writing Step 1 after MS2 ideal. The USMLE Step 1 material does involve a fair bit that's not super-relevant for clerkship, but it's good motivation to go over some of the basics.

USMLE Steps 1 and 2 are extremely valuable, especially if you study with UWorld. The amount of knowledge I learned from UWorld far outnumber most lectures of questionable usefulness. Even Step 1 was very valuable for clerkship; many people will be rusty after summer of 2nd year, whereas brains of people who just wrote Step 1 will be razor sharp to begin clerkship. Clinically useful or not basic science details covered by step 1 have been asked especially on internal medicine in my experience. 

Archived