Premed 101 Forums

What To Do When Rejected?

msalei15

Hi everyone,

So I am an IP applicant, who studied a year in physiology, switched into Eng (both at McGill) and about to finish. I applied to Ont, and Quebec schools this year for med was rejected from McGill (after interview), Ont (low MCAT), and UdeM (low TFI) and still waiting to hear from UdeS and UdeL. After my interview at McGill, I convinced myself that I didn't need to look into grad school/work, but now I do.

So my question is for those who did not get into med school the first time, what did you do? How did it help your profile? Were you able to continue it during med school? For those in med school, what would you have liked to do before med? work experience? travel? volunteer? grad school/research?

Your opinions/advice is greatly appreciated!

I think that's the issue with most medical applicants (including me), and they usually do not know what exactly to do with their life if ever get rejected. The first thing you have to do is to answer the question that "am I going to re-apply to medical school or not?"
If No, then the answer is within you and your life, If YES, then I think you should consider a couple of factors (just my opinions):

1. admit that there was something wrong with you or your application and that is why you are not in medical school now, so IMPROVE it. depending on if that is a lack of social experiences or grades or etc, you have to do variety of things to improve it..

2. do not waste your time. now you know how it feels to not have a plan B. so if you ever decide to do something, make sure it is going to be useful both for medical school and your future. (ex: some people get a master, ANY master and then for second time they get rejected, not only did they not get into medicine, but also they wasted and are not stuck with a degree they dont even like) so if ever you want to go to grad school, choose a field you like.

3. you got an interview at mcgill, so you were close and im sure you worked hard for it, but unfortunately you are not there yet, don't give up, if that's what you want, work for it as hard as you can, even harder than ever and get it.

You guys are all right on point! Pursuing my engineering degree is my plan B, with a cGPA of 3.83 and 3 different work experiences (because of coop), with a lot of EC, I covered that basis for application purposes and possibility of having a career as an engineer. BUT like chinkare said, something was missing in my profile /application which is what Im trying to figure out. I do want to be in med, and will push harder! Thank you a lot!

Does anyone know how I can improve my french? summer program/camp here or in France? I  speak/write at an intermediate level, and just want to advance it.

You guys are all right on point! Pursuing my engineering degree is my plan B, with a cGPA of 3.83 and 3 different work experiences (because of coop), with a lot of EC, I covered that basis for application purposes and possibility of having a career as an engineer. BUT like chinkare said, something was missing in my profile /application which is what Im trying to figure out. I do want to be in med, and will push harder! Thank you a lot!

Does anyone know how I can improve my french? summer program/camp here or in France? I  speak/write at an intermediate level, and just want to advance it.

I've heard from friends that the Explore two week immersion camp in Quebec is pretty great. Worth investigating!

During the time I was applying I didn't do anything that I didn't WANT to being doing or that I didn't LOVE. There was not one sports team, one country I travelled to, one research paper, one club, one volunteer activity, and even my masters that I did not feel contributed positively to my future as a person regardless of what career I would end up in. I think thats important, if you are doing what you love the time will fly by and it wont just be a means to an end, you'll also be creating experiences and a life that you enjoy and are proud of regardless of whether medical school is in your future or not. Now, as you can see from my list above many of the things I enjoy doing are also things that many premeds and medical professionals enjoy to do to, so I am lucky I suppose that my interests aligned with my goal. However, that doesn't mean that if you are SUPER into something that you don't feel is related that you shouldn't pursue it. Medicine is a vocation that can only be filled by someone who has a passion for it, if you can demonstrate passion in other aspects of your life I think thats a huge step in the right direction; You can only be so passionate about something you haven't had the chance to pursue yet (medicine)! So go out, explore the world, decide what your solid plan B is, and just keep moving forward! Good Luck!

jj123 and xcon2run thank you for your help! So I have a critical question. I am planning to do a M.Eng at McGill, and it is a 2 year program. Can I still apply next year, and drop my M.Eng? Or can I only apply in two years again, specifically McGill and 3 french school? I know that UofT would only let me apply after I finish. 

Thanks!

I think you can apply next year to McGill and the French schools. I know some one who applied in his first year of a two year master's and got accepted,  He deferred admission to med school for one year so that he can finished his master's.  I'm not sure how adcom looks are applicants who aren't expecting to finish their graduate degrees before med school starts though since McGill's website recommends against it

• 2 weeks later...
On March 28, 2015 at 4:52 PM, msalei15 said:

jj123 and xcon2run thank you for your help! So I have a critical question. I am planning to do a M.Eng at McGill, and it is a 2 year program. Can I still apply next year, and drop my M.Eng? Or can I only apply in two years again, specifically McGill and 3 french school? I know that UofT would only let me apply after I finish. 

Thanks!

This is a question that often comes up. McGill doesn't have any specific rules like other schools do. However, you are in a catch-22 of sorts because while getting a masters will absolutely enhance your candidacy (I think at least half of the non pre meds in my class have pursued grad studies). I say go for the masters. Good luck!

Archived