Premed 101 Forums

Lower level courses in upper level years

Guest EMHC

Guest EMHC

Does Adcom frown upon applicants who take, say, a 100 level course in 2nd year? What about the pre-reqs? Becuase I'm in commerce my electives have become the pre-reqs for med and I'm having trouble synchronize them into my timetable (why didn't I take 1st year chem in 1st year>: ). So, if I decide to take a 100 level bio lab in 4th year (the year that I'd be expecting to apply) will this hurt my application?

EMHC

Guest Lactic Folly

100 level course in 2nd year? That shouldn't be a problem.. how can you get a broad education if you can only take higher level courses in the same subjects as you took in first year? :) As your course is a pre-req, you don't have much choice in the matter.. More important is the proportion of junior/senior courses, and the overall difficulty of your courseload.

Guest grandmellon

You have to be careful about taking 100 level courses in upper years because some school require you to take a min number of upper year courses. I think that most permit at least one "lower year" course. But you have to be careful... read the omsas booklet very carefully and if you really want to be certain call the school

:)

Guest EMHC

Thanks for the replies.

One question though, so 1st and 2nd year are known as 'lower level years' while 3rd and 4th year are known as

'upper level years'.

Am I correct here?:\

Guest Lactic Folly

Terminology can vary, so you'll need to check with the school you're applying to, but usually they will specify 1st-year course, 2nd-year course, etc.

Guest adlinner

Definitely read over the admission requirements.

I took 6 courses (vs. normal 5) in first year and then took one more first year course in second year (I believe strongly in a diverse university education). :) All of the other courses after that had been honours level core courses - ie no bird courses because I was in a combined program. Yet this left me with only 9 instead of 10 honours level courses after three years. Because of this short fall, I could not apply to Mac which requires you to have 10 (after three OR four years).

Pretty silly especially since it's the school considered most lax when it comes to admin requirements. I wish I had read the school requirements before I took the courses in second year, but you just don't think about things like this until you actually go to apply!

Archived