Premed 101 Forums

can we?

Guest Ibraheem

Guest UWOMED2005

Of course you can apply right after High School. Just don't plan on being being accepted, or even have them look at your application beyond the "years of university completed" box. :)

If you live in Europe, you can apply with a decent shot at acceptance. But last time I checked New Brunswick was still a part of Canada. If you lived in Quebec, you could apply after you've completed CEGEP.

Guest quebecboy

Hey Ibraheem,

Sure you can! In the UK, Ireland, ...., but I'm sure you meant here in Canada or the US ;) . Unfortunately, you can't unless you are a mature and exceptionnal applicant (i.e: hold a nobel peace prize... I may be exagerrating a bit here, but you do need to be quite an applicant as is to my understanding). The shortest route is probably through the Québec CÉGEP system, which is two years after grade 11, but it is extremely competitive. Otherwise, you're stuck doing the 3 years :rolleyes , but at least you'll gain a lot of out of it.

Good luck,

Quebecboy

Guest me maniac

Keep in mind that in those European school that have a right-after-high-school option, you have to go med school for 6 years.... might as well just stay here and do it in Canada.

me

Guest jmh2005

CEGEP is the Quebec equivalent to Ontario's Grade 12 and 13 (mind you, this the last year there will be Gr. 13 in Ontario...)...

But it is a bit different, you can take more specialized classes than you would in high school,(or just university prep Arts/Sciences too) but generally it is similar...

Anyone from Quebec, please feel free to clarify...

Guest mying

I've heard rumours (fairly good ones, though I've never gone searching -- some googling may help someone out here, somebody NOT studying at the moment) about 6-year programs in the US.

The idea being, you start in a special bachelor's program after high school with guaranteed acceptance to medical school after two years so long as you maintain your grades and do sufficiently well on the MCAT. This special bachelor's program is supposedly relatively intense and goes year-round.

It's all just rumours, but I'm willing to bet such programs DO exist -- the other details of how they work and how people get in might not match up with what I've been rumoured. ;)

Guest Lactic Folly

Yep, those six year programs exist (probably only for US residents though). There are also 8 year BA/MD programs, same deal, just not accelerated. These programs aren't numerous though, and you have to be pretty committed to medicine at a young age (interviewing during high school.. eeks).

Guest ploughboy

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

Hash: SHA1

Ibraheem,

I've heard the same rumours as mying. I'm too lazy to go google it myself (and hey, why take the fun away from you? Google is your friend...), but I do have a copy of Brown's "Getting into Medical School" right here on the bookshelf. It's a rather US-centric book but an interesting read none the less.

Quoting from the second chapter...

"There are special six-year programs for high school seniors leading to the combined BA or BS and MD degrees. For those who wish to pursue them, the American Association of Medical Colleges' _AAMC Admissions Requirements_ book offers an entire chapter of information on medical schools offering a combined college/MD program. If you're not in any hurry to become a doctor, I would advise spending four years in college and using your senior year for electives to take something other than premedical science courses. Many doctors who spend only three years in college often mourn the loss of that fourth year."(1)

So there you go. If you're really curious, check out the AAMC website or their admissions requirements handbook.

pb

(1) Getting Into Medical School, Ninth Edition, Sanford J. Brown MD, p 14

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----

Version: GnuPG v1.2.1 (FreeBSD)

iD8DBQE+3BSd/HNgbK3bC2wRApJTAJ9XMKFY14fu0vQCG9faCW8WrAmMyACfR+xL

WMZK7e86xdRC2+C2UalUh9A=

=lr1r

-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

Guest EMHC

You can always apply. The question is, what type of answer the University will give along with some sort of "comment" (ie: did you read the application booklet? or even something else...). The person going over your application might not even read your application 'cause you didn't even follow simple instructions

With regards to Brown University's medical program it's like this. The BSc/MD is an 8 year program that allows you to do your BSc and then right afterwards you'll begin your MD. You have to keep a certain GPA (something like 3.59 if I remember correctly) every single year in your undergraduate years and then some other requirement to meet when you're doing the MD.

You can try the UK schools. But as said previously they're 6 years in length, not including residency. Marks wise, you'll need something like a 97% high school average in English, Chemistry, Biology and Math. With the academics down, they then want extra cir. like a team sport and some volunteering (they don't look at the volunteering part quite that importantly, but it's still important though, but yes the sports are important).

Then there's the interview.

So, if you do get over all these hoops, here's the last one. At the bottom of the web page for the University of Liverpool, they say that they require students to be mature enough to handle the material in medical and so the minimum age for any candidate to begin the medical program must be 18 years. This means that unless you're born before September, you're out of luck.

Guest OncologyMike

Typically no, however that’s not to say it hasn't happened here in Ontario in the past.

For instance, my family GP doesn't have an undergrad. Back in 1981 (I think he said), he along with 5 others in Ontario were granted a pass on some fast track program. To qualify, they were all mature students that had finished high school years before with a 90 average. They were required to write a test. He passed. He wrote the MCATS right after...then was "placed" into med school.

He also said this will likely never happen again lol. It was a program that was brought about as a result of some political pressure. It as far as I know, only lasted that one year.

Guest EMHC

never heard of that. but still, very interesting:D

EMHC

Ibrahem:

30K is for domestic students (Americans). I presume that you're Canadian. In that case, if I still remember correctly, it's 50K per year. You might need some real big scholarships or mom and dad to bail you out:smokin

Archived