Premed 101 Forums

Should I Buy A Car?

Hey all,

I've recently been accepted to Dal (Halifax campus) and was wondering if someone from out east could suggest whether or not I should buy a car in first year? I'm planning on living within a ten minute walk to the Tupper but in terms of traveling around the city I don't know if a car is necessary right away (for early clinical placements and all that).

I know classes don't start until August but I'm a planner  :)

Thanks for the help!

Congrats on your acceptance! I did my undergrad at SMU in Halifax and lived on Quinpool road near Robie street and found it very easy to get around with the bus system so I don't think a car is essential. Not sure what sites you'll be working at but the IWK is very close to Dal as are a few other hospitals so you definitely won't need a car to go to there.

However, if you do get a car, make sure there Is a parking lot or garage at your place because if I remember correctly, they don't allow street parking in winter which (obviously) is a huge annoyance.

Congrats on your acceptance. This would be best suited for the Dal forum. Until it gets moved - no, you don't 'need' a car at Dal. Many of my classmates never had one. I did, and it was mainly used to get groceries and to visit with family. Parking on Dal's campus and the downtown hospitals is far from ideal - you will be infinitely happier if you find an apartment that is walkable. For clerkship, some rotations may be outside of the city, but I only used my car for a 3 week family elective that I probably could have taken public transit to. The rest of my clerkship was walkable from my apartment.

You can't go wrong either way with buying a car - as mentioned above, they restrict overnight parking on the street during the winter months. You should also consider, in addition to the cost of the car and insurance, you will likely pay about 100 a month for a parking spot.

Archived