Premed 101 Forums

Specialties With Favourable Job Markets? Your Opinion Please.

Dermatology, emergency medicine, some internal options like geriatrics and rheumatology, arguably community pediatrics. Basically fields working with an undifferentiated patient population and/or in relatively low-tech fields are doing ok, especially if they can just open up a clinic and start seeing patients.

As fugacity says though, location matters as much as specialty when it comes to the job market.

Dermatology, emergency medicine, some internal options like geriatrics and rheumatology, arguably community pediatrics. Basically fields working with an undifferentiated patient population and/or in relatively low-tech fields are doing ok, especially if they can just open up a clinic and start seeing patients.

As fugacity says though, location matters as much as specialty when it comes to the job market.

And some of those markets don't have a lot of absorption room - If they get popular there are some limits that will be hit relatively quickly.

It is really hard to job plan in medicine. A lot of this stuff is reverse effects - tell people that there are lots of jobs in X, people flock, and then when you get there then there there isn't etc.

And some of those markets don't have a lot of absorption room - If they get popular there are some limits that will be hit relatively quickly.

It is really hard to job plan in medicine. A lot of this stuff is reverse effects - tell people that there are lots of jobs in X, people flock, and then when you get there then there there isn't etc.

Do you think that comment about reverse effects will apply to FM? Already seems like many of my peers currently in their clinical years of m3/m4 are leaning towards FM for the numerous benefits. Right now i'm pretty set on FM, or go for the long haul in something that involves being in academia (i.e. be a lifer of medicine).  Pros and cons to both of course, and depends if i end up stay in Canada or going to the US for medical undergrad.  

Definitely hard to predict and plan with such long time frames!

I'd agree for the most part, though I'd argue there are some exceptions thanks to the choke-point of residency positions. It doesn't really matter if Dermatology becomes even more popular than it is unless residency positions increase to match that popularity.

Do you think that comment about reverse effects will apply to FM? Already seems like many of my peers currently in their clinical years of m3/m4 are leaning towards FM for the numerous benefits. Right now i'm pretty set on FM, or go for the long haul in something that involves being in academia (i.e. be a lifer of medicine).  Pros and cons to both of course, and depends if i end up stay in Canada or going to the US for medical undergrad.  

Definitely hard to predict and plan with such long time frames!

considering in Ontario at least the government is messing around with family practise teams then yeah definitely things are about to get interesting. A lot of those benefits for FM include mobility and that is exactly the sort of things that is going to be messed with.

Archived