Premed 101 Forums

Hello,

My main question is this: I want to take a 5th year of undergraduate after I complete my business degree this summer. This is because I need to take physics, org chem, and biochem. My GPA is 3.87 (converted from UVic) so I am not taking the 5th year for GPA reasons. However, I have seen that some med schools dont like people taking 5th year courses that do not contribute towards a degree. Would I be falling into this category?

TL;DR: 

• Will graduate with business degree in summer with high GPA
  • Need prerequisites
  • Will medical schools accept my prerequisites if i take them in a 5th year that does not count towards a second degree?

Thanks a lot guys!

Hello,

My main question is this: I want to take a 5th year of undergraduate after I complete my business degree this summer. This is because I need to take physics, org chem, and biochem. My GPA is 3.87 (converted from UVic) so I am not taking the 5th year for GPA reasons. However, I have seen that some med schools dont like people taking 5th year courses that do not contribute towards a degree. Would I be falling into this category?

TL;DR: 

• Will graduate with business degree in summer with high GPA
  • Need prerequisites
  • Will medical schools accept my prerequisites if i take them in a 5th year that does not count towards a second degree?

Thanks a lot guys!

Most of the time the credit limits and rules apply to people who want to take advantage of weighting schemes.

In this situation you already have  the competitive GPA, and are just taking the courses after the fact to satisfy pre-reqs: I think you should have no problem with this.

I would see if anyone has any specific insight into certain schools, but based on everything I have read- you should be fine!

If you would like insight into pre-reqs, feel free to post and im sure people would be happy to provide insight/tips.

I'm applying to UBC this year and I am also taking a 5th year to fit in pre-reqs. I'm being 'housed' in a Bachelor of Science, so technically they are degree credits, but I am only doing the one year as I have a Bachelor of Science in Nursing already, and I also have a competitive gpa for UBC. I talked to an advisor and they seemed to agree that this might be a better way of getting the credits than just applying as an unclassified student. I think the cost to apply to the Bachelor of science program was only $30. So this may be an option for you?

Archived