Premed 101 Forums

Specializing In Ontario

What does it take?

I have not had much luck on the internet finding admission requirements or statistics for specialty programs.

If anyone has any information it would be greatly appreciated... or is there a forum for specialties? 

I am certain it is extremely competitive but I would love more information - thanks!

Ya I understand what you are saying I was hoping for some resources or maybe personal stories that's all.

I know a lot of Canadians that are specializing right out of dental school in the U.S. so it got me curious.

I am interested in Orthodontics only but was open to hear about any experiences or information in terms of what they look for in Ontario schools. As you said a few years working they look for things other than GPA which I wanted to know more about. 

Thanks for your reply.

Ya I understand what you are saying I was hoping for some resources or maybe personal stories that's all.

I know a lot of Canadians that are specializing right out of dental school in the U.S. so it got me curious.

I am interested in Orthodontics only but was open to hear about any experiences or information in terms of what they look for in Ontario schools. As you said a few years working they look for things other than GPA which I wanted to know more about. 

Thanks for your reply.

Specializing in orthodontics in Ontario (UofT and/or UWO) is impossible straight out of dental school. Both schools require at least one year of either GPR or associateship experience before you can even apply/given an interview.

If you want to specialize in orthodontics straight out of dental school, then you have two options: 1. if wanting to stay in Canada, UBC is the way to go...or 2. apply to the US.

In terms of orthodontic programs in Ontario, they look at a huge range of different things spanning from 1. academics (class rank, GPA, awards, scholarships), 2. research (publications/papers), 3. EC that are orthodontically-related (orthodontic observerships/externships), 4. teaching experience (more emphasis on a dental setting vs. basic tutoring/running a Kaplan course), 5. work/residency experience (GPR/AEGD or years of private practice/associateship experience) and 6. overall character/personality (discovered during the interviews).

Sincerely hope this helps. 

What about endodontics and pediatrics in Canada? Thanks!

For endodontics in Canada, you have two choices being UBC or UofT. I believe endodontic residency programs do take fresh dental graduates, however there is indication that they prefer 1-2 years work/associateship experience prior to applying.

For pediatric dentistry in Canada, there are three-english speaking programs (UBC, UofM and UofT) and one-french speaking program (Montreal). From what I know, most if not all pediatric dentistry residency programs in Canada require the completion of a GPR prior to applying with pediatric-based GPRs being highly preferred (i.e., Dalhousie's IWK GPR, UofT's Mt. Sinai/Sick Kids GPR or UBC's pediatric GPR (not sure if this program is still running -- UBC recently revamped their GPR program)). 

Hope that helps. 

Archived