Premed 101 Forums

Receiving Offers For Grad Programs While Waiting For Md Decisions

Hi everyone,

This cycle I applied to several grad programs as well as med school. My understanding is that offers are sent out in April for the former and May for the latter. I'm wondering what I would do if I receive an offer from a grad program while I'm waiting to hear back from MD admissions. My questions:

- Are applicants typically given some time to deliberate before they must accept/decline offers to grad programs? How much time? 

- Do grad programs accommodate requests for more time to consider an offer? I'm almost certain I will be getting one offer from an MSc program in early/mid-April so that means I'd waiting at least a month until MD decisions are sent out. Is that going to be too much?

If anyone has gone through this process before, I would really appreciate some insight/advice. Thanks!

Hi everyone,

This cycle I applied to several grad programs as well as med school. My understanding is that offers are sent out in April for the former and May for the latter. I'm wondering what I would do if I receive an offer from a grad program while I'm waiting to hear back from MD admissions. My questions:

- Are applicants typically given some time to deliberate before they must accept/decline offers to grad programs? How much time? 

- Do grad programs accommodate requests for more time to consider an offer? I'm almost certain I will be getting one offer from an MSc program in early/mid-April so that means I'd waiting at least a month until MD decisions are sent out. Is that going to be too much?

If anyone has gone through this process before, I would really appreciate some insight/advice. Thanks!

You'll probably have to decide "yes" and pay whatever dues to register in the course, and simply bite the bullet and pull out if/when you get your med acceptance.

I had the same problem last year. Just told them that i am still waiting to hear from other programs. They were willing to give me an extension to reply back without any problem or deposite

That's awfully convenient and helpful. Does this happen often? And do you have to contact each of the programs and tell them that? 

I was in a similar position with a March 30th 2015 deadline. I asked for an extension of the deadline. My request was denied. I paid the deposit. Ouch! We shall see. I have not yet applied to Medical Schools but am working on other premed plans for the fall. An extension to the decision would have been appreciated.

Archived