Premed 101 Forums

Improving Auditory Learning/memory

Hey guys, my strengths are that I am a highly visual learner - I'm very good when I'm just reading the text by myself. I like to often close my eyes when I'm studying and make like a mind map of how each point connects to each other, and this seems to have been working extremely well for myself. 

Over the past few years while in undergrad & high school, I seem to have realized that I am not a very good auditory learner. By this I mean I cannot consistently absorb information through a lecturer speaking out the information - my auditory sense just seems to be poor... 

I feel like I am at a disadvantage being a poor auditory learner because in most of my courses, you have to attend lectures in order to get the material that the professor wants. I just can't seem to have enough space in my short-term auditory memory to be able to consistently fit all that the professor is spitting out. Most of the time, it is still sufficient, but on days I'm tired or not 100%, I feel like a dumbass because I can't seem to keep up while others can.... I just feel like I'd be much more efficient if I could improve this aspect of my memory/brain. I also feel like auditory learning skills is something ESSENTIAL as a physician who has to receive most of their information about the patients through listening to another person - they're not necessarily going to be "visualizing" or reading the information by themselves.... 

I think my main problem is that because I am a visual person, I like to imagine how all the concepts link to each other or the whole picture - so if something that the professor said does not make in sense, I ponder on it and try make sense of it, by then the prof would be like a slide or 2 ahead of where we were.

I was just wondering if any of you guys have/had similar problems & how one would go on about drastically improving their auditory learning/memory.

So, maybe a dumb question... But do you write notes? Like, good notes? You don't need to learn the subject as the professor is talking - you can do that on your own time, as long as you write good, concise notes that you can follow along with later. I've had uncountable numbers of lectures where I honestly couldn't tell you what the professor talked about for the past hour, but I would go home on these nights and figure it out myself from my notes. (This was actually my entire organic chemistry experience.)

So, maybe a dumb question... But do you write notes? Like, good notes? You don't need to learn the subject as the professor is talking - you can do that on your own time, as long as you write good, concise notes that you can follow along with later. I've had uncountable numbers of lectures where I honestly couldn't tell you what the professor talked about for the past hour, but I would go home on these nights and figure it out myself from my notes. (This was actually my entire organic chemistry experience.)

Hey, haha yes of course. It's not that I can't learn the stuff when I go back home, that's why I mentioned that when I'm at home & studying by myself I can grasp the concepts very well. It's just that I feel like you should be able to learn the subject as the professor is talking..

Also, I just feel like my overall auditory learning is weak relative to other people.

Archived