Good Luck Tomorrow!

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to know what my chances are for U of T with the following stats

3rd Year Undergrad

GPA: 3.94

DAT: AA - 22, PAT - 21

Interview Relative Score: Average

Thanks so much!

I think it really depends on where the undergrad GPA average lies. Your DAT and Interview is average - so if your GPA is average with Masters receiving their bonus - then you are in. 

Tbh, if you think about it, 96/164 is over 50% of acceptance. This means people with overall below average (GPA + DAT + Interview) will be also accepted. So I think you have a good chance. 

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think that your stats are very competitive.  If it is any consolation, my stats were very similar last year (3rd year) and I didn't even get an interview. Perhaps the 3rd year pool is weaker this year. That being said, I am not sure if they group 3rd years with 3rd years when evaluating (some schools do).  Time will tell.

Thank you. Could I mind asking what your exact stats were? It is surprising that you didn't get an interview last year.

I think it really depends on where the undergrad GPA average lies. Your DAT and Interview is average - so if your GPA is average with Masters receiving their bonus - then you are in. 

Tbh, if you think about it, 96/164 is over 50% of acceptance. This means people with overall below average (GPA + DAT + Interview) will be also accepted. So I think you have a good chance. 

I too have thought of it this way. One question, I have heard that the number of spots are being increased from 96 --> 120. Anyone else heard of this or can confirm?

Thank you. Could I mind asking what your exact stats were? It is surprising that you didn't get an interview last year.

I too have thought of it this way. One question, I have heard that the number of spots are being increased from 96 --> 120. Anyone else heard of this or can confirm?

I really wish that is true but I doubt it (unless you have an official alumini news letter that claims it). Though I did hear they are decreasing the bonus for master students this year.

96 is the class size for the first year. 120 is the total including the students entering through the IDAPP program

I believe Tryptophan20 is correct.

Is there a separate pool for masters students? Or is everyone ranked from 1-164, and it's just that the masters students receive a bonus on their gpa?

I don't think anyone knows how it exactly works... but that is what I have been told by the admission lady.

Though I did hear they are decreasing the bonus for master students this year.

Hmmm..Interesting. Source?

Is there a separate pool for masters students? Or is everyone ranked from 1-164, and it's just that the masters students receive a bonus on their gpa?

1 pool - I called and asked the admission lady. So there's probably no set quota and it's likely just by overall rank after the bonus

^ wouldn't it though if there is only 1 pool and no set ratio of Graduate to Undergraduate offers given?

But don't they receive bonus when they get invited for the interview? So I would assume their GPA was decent enough even with a smaller bonus this year.

I have a q about 1 pool stuff. Does that mean it just magically happens to be 1/3 of master students 1/3 of 4 or more year students and smaller number of 3rd year student every year? Since the ratio always stayed the same every year, I thought they would have a separate pool or some kind of system to make those ratio happen every cycle. I know a friend who got accepted with 3.92 GPA, good DAT and above average interview (4th year student), but another friend of mine in 3rd year got top waitlisted with the exact same stat (i.e. 3.92 GPA, good DAT, above average interview). Like sure - there could have been difference in  interview scores between two of my friends - but it's still above average. Given that their GPA and DAT seems averabe/above average, I just found it odd.

Am I missing sth here?

I am not sure either way, but with respect to your friends, if you were looking at 2 people with similar stats and one was third year (looking at 2 years of marks) vs one in 4th year (looking at 3 years of marks), would you not take the person who proved himself for another year? It is more impressive to have maintained the marks for another year. It just seems logical and fair.

I am not sure either way, but with respect to your friends, if you were looking at 2 people with similar stats and one was third year (looking at 2 years of marks) vs one in 4th year (looking at 3 years of marks), would you not take the person who proved himself for another year? It is more impressive to have maintained the marks for another year. It just seems logical and fair.

I completely agree with you. But I think my 4th year friend took best two years to have 3.92 - and if they really did have a strict ranking system for one pool, such discrimination doesn't make a complete sense to me. Just a thought.

Or it's possible avg. GPA + Master bonus was above 3.92 so both of my friends would have had below avg. GPA.

Oh man.. you guys are stressing me out.

We just have to wait another week and see what the results are.  Everyone who was interviewed has a good chance I would say.  Especially if they did well during the interview, lower than the average invite GPA and DAT stats could pull you ahead.

UofT doesn't interview too many people for their 96 spots.  Your chances are already better than 50/50 and given that not everyone accepts their invites there should only be 40-50 disappointed people.

From what I've heard uofts plan is get the class size up back to 120 (not incl IDS). Back on the day uoft was at 120.

You mean they would do it gradually - so in a few years or so... or do you mean they are increasing it this year? Do you mind sharing your source?

People say that the interview is the most important factor but it is only worth 30%, how is this? Is a difference between 26 (below average) and 28 (above average) really that great? Aka someone with a 4.00 but 26/35 would be rejected but someone with 3.91 and 28/35 would be accepted

If someone with a 3.91 has no chance anyway then I don't see the utility of the interview. There must be some chance. Maybe 26 vs 28 is too narrow a difference afterall these are the best case and worst case of below and above average, respectively.

Similar to this in the case of 4.0 vs 3.9, technically someone who got 90% in every course could be compared to someone who consistently got 89% in every course. How is 1% going to make someone a better dental student?

But at the end of the day GPA is 60% of the breakdown so I wouldn't be surprised if the interview is just to sort out the ranks of those with lower GPA.

Archived