Premed 101 Forums

Uwo Best 2 Years

For anyone that's in Schulich Dentistry right now, would you mind disclosing what courses you took for your 2 most competitive years?

What I'm concerned about is this point under the admissions page: "Repeat years (an academic year with course content similar to an academic year previously completed) may be used in the selection process, using averaged grades for the similar years." Having emailed UWO about it, the explanation was that a repeat year is considered the "same subject matter at the same level of difficulty." 

It still seems very ambiguous because it doesn't specifically explain what constitutes as "similar" and what is sufficiently different enough for a year to not be considered a "repeat year." For example would having two 4th year courses (and some 2nd/3rd year courses) in 4th year be sufficiently different from having mostly 2nd and 3rd year courses in 3rd year?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

I was told by the admission office that as long as your course content and level (year 2, 3 etc) is not overlapping with each other. You should be fine. 

For example, if you took 5 second year biology course in your 2nd year, and you have 4 second year biology course again in your 3rd year, you might be risking it. But if you took a 2nd year computer science course in your 3rd year, and you have not previously taken computer science before, you should be fine.

Does anyone know how to convert letter grades into %? For instance, if I get an A+, what is that equal to in terms of Western's % scale?

I'm not sure if I'm right, since Western doesn't disclose how they calculate GPA, but I take the middle of the range associated with a letter grade. So if an A+ at your school corresponds with 90-100% at UWO, I would assign that course a 95% since it is the middle of that range. Take this with a grain of salt though.

Archived