Premed 101 Forums

Chances Into Us Md Or Do

Hey, 

I'm just about to complete my third year of UG at a Canadian University and wanted to see if my stats are moderately competitive for mid-low tier US MD schools or even DO schools. 

cGPA= 3.62 

sGPA= 3.54 

MCAT: Despite doing well on the Practice tests over the summer, due to the stress of the test on the actual day, i actually did really bad and will be retaking the test again this summer. Expecting to get a low 30 (now sure how that translates into the 2015 MCAT scoring). 

EC: some research experience- (no Publications) , mostly volunteering at various hospitals, community work and Executive positions in 2 school clubs. I also hope to shadow a physician this summer and continue volunteering at the hospital.  

Hey, 

I'm just about to complete my third year of UG at a Canadian University and wanted to see if my stats are moderately competitive for mid-low tier US MD schools or even DO schools. 

cGPA= 3.62 

sGPA= 3.54 

MCAT: Despite doing well on the Practice tests over the summer, due to the stress of the test on the actual day, i actually did really bad and will be retaking the test again this summer. Expecting to get a low 30 (now sure how that translates into the 2015 MCAT scoring). 

EC: some research experience- (no Publications) , mostly volunteering at various hospitals, community work and Executive positions in 2 school clubs. I also hope to shadow a physician this summer and continue volunteering at the hospital.  

Finish your 3rd year strong and as well your 4th year - and with a strong MCAT you would have a shot at USMD schools. If you do that, you can apply at the end of your 4th year. Perhaps if your MCAT goes well enough, and as well your 4th year - you could apply to some of the best 2 year Canadian schools.

What was your first score? You need to really improve the 2nd time around.

See other posts in this sub forum for general information and insight.

I was averaging a 32 on the practice tests and somehow got a 20 on the actual MCAT. Score was no way representative of knowledge or skills so I'm sure a re write will be the best.

I know that US MD schools really like to see the progression from first to second etc. My third year gpa is sitting at a 4.0, so hopefully that has a positive impact.

If I apply again at the end of 4th year to a US MD school, and since acceptances don't come out until October - November, Will I have to take a year off ?

From a 32 in practice to a 20 in actual, there must have been some mitigating circumstance. Try to identify that. Don't just go into the next mcat thinking the 20 was a fluke. It may well be, but with that large of a drop, chances are that something impacted your performance. 

It sounds like you have a very good upward trend. If you add another 4.0 in you final year, you could stand a shot at several Canadian schools. Calgary (drop lowest), Queens (best 2), Western (best 2), McMaster (lenient on gpa) and possibly Ottawa (weighted 3yr GPA). UofT also will drop 1 full credit for each year - perhaps that will help?

US schools are almost 2-3 times more expensive, and there are other loop holes to jump through for those who have to choose that route (ie complicated visa issues, plethora of boards, statement of need if you want to specialize in most things outside of primary care). 

My advice is: it may be worth it to take a year off if necessary to give yourself a better shot at canadian schools. Apply to canadian schools this cycle - bc you just never know, you could get lucky. Then after your 4th year, really put in your best app - apply to both US and canadian schools.

From a 32 in practice to a 20 in actual, there must have been some mitigating circumstance. Try to identify that. Don't just go into the next mcat thinking the 20 was a fluke. It may well be, but with that large of a drop, chances are that something impacted your performance. 

It sounds like you have a very good upward trend. If you add another 4.0 in you final year, you could stand a shot at several Canadian schools. Calgary (drop lowest), Queens (best 2), Western (best 2), McMaster (lenient on gpa) and possibly Ottawa (weighted 3yr GPA). UofT also will drop 1 full credit for each year - perhaps that will help?

US schools are almost 2-3 times more expensive, and there are other loop holes to jump through for those who have to choose that route (ie complicated visa issues, plethora of boards, statement of need if you want to specialize in most things outside of primary care). 

My advice is: it may be worth it to take a year off if necessary to give yourself a better shot at canadian schools. Apply to canadian schools this cycle - bc you just never know, you could get lucky. Then after your 4th year, really put in your best app - apply to both US and canadian schools.

There is zero point in applying to any Canadian or US schools this upcoming cycle - the 20 MCAT meets no cut-offs. Even if they get an MCAT that meets cut-offs, in time for the Canadian cycle, i don't think they GPA's above will get them an interview at any Canadian school - unless they do really well in VR and can land a Mac interview.

Best to finish off the 4th year with a 4.0, do well on the MCAT and then re-evaluate. Don't waste $ applying to schools this summer, unless again you do astronomically better on the MCAT, but i think you will need the extra 4.0 year in your 4th year to bring up your GPA enough.

I was thinking of applying to only DO schools this year and if that doesn't work, I'll finish 4th year strong and apply to American and Canadian MD schools next year.

I feel like my current stats are moderately competitive (given I do well on my MCAT this summer) for a shot at DO. 

Would you agree with this approach ?

By the way, thanks for the help everyone :)

I was thinking of applying to only DO schools this year and if that doesn't work, I'll finish 4th year strong and apply to American and Canadian MD schools next year.

I feel like my current stats are moderately competitive (given I do well on my MCAT this summer) for a shot at DO. 

Would you agree with this approach ?

By the way, thanks for the help everyone :)

IF you retake the MCAT and do well, then perhaps you can apply this summer to USDO schools - make sure you don't sacrifice your MCAT score for the sake of completing it earlier to apply to DO schools this cycle though. I would say if you can get your MCAT done late July at latest, then that would be okay to still apply to USDO schools. Make sure you have your application already all submitted and completed at that point though, but do not send to individual schools until you get your updated MCAT..

IF you retake the MCAT and do well, then perhaps you can apply this summer to USDO schools - make sure you don't sacrifice your MCAT score for the sake of completing it earlier to apply to DO schools this cycle though. I would say if you can get your MCAT done late July at latest, then that would be okay to still apply to USDO schools. Make sure you have your application already all submitted and completed at that point though, but do not send to individual schools until you get your updated MCAT..

Thanks ! 

Archived