Premed 101 Forums

Taking A Year Off.. What To Do During?

Hey guys,

Ive decided Im taking a year off before deciding what Im doing (whether that be med or not). I know no matter what professional school I choose, it's not great to be sitting idly by for a year and was looking to turn to you guys for ideas on what to do. I was thinking volunteer research for sure (although I think it's too early to apply.. also not getting a great success rate yet). And theres the generic volunteering in a hospital/old folks home/non profit organization but apart from that I have no ideas.

I'm looking for some good life experience that I could possibly add onto my resume (and hopefully also find my calling!), does anyone have any experience with taking a year off and doing something?

Why do volunteer research? Get grant funded and actually get some money out of it. And it's definitely not too early to start applying for research. If anything, it's the exact opposite. Most summer positions are advertised and filled in late January/early February, and Summer is definitely the easiest time to start working with a new lab group.

Why do volunteer research? Get grant funded and actually get some money out of it. And it's definitely not too early to start applying for research. If anything, it's the exact opposite. Most summer positions are advertised and filled in late January/early February, and Summer is definitely the easiest time to start working with a new lab group.

Get a paying job and make money.

+1 about getting money. If you took out loans for your studies so far, usually they go into repayment when you're off of school.

I was definitely going to get a paying job, I need money for sure. I was just looking at my ECs and theyre lacking a bit.. After my third year (Im finishing my 5th) they seem to be empty. I just was looking for good ideas but all I could come up with were research/hospital volunteer/old folks/etc the generic. Im hoping someone else could chime in with their experience in hopes it may have been slightly different/unique.

As for research, most summer research applications are closed, I've looked at a bunch. I've emailed researchers individually but not getting that much luck. Im okay with not having research for the summer though, I have a course I need to finish up anyway and dont think I have the time but I would like it for the upcoming academic year (Sept-April)

Archived