Premed 101 Forums

number of volunteering hours and duration

Guest PyariCgudia

Guest PyariCgudia

Hi,

My dilemma is that for about 1.5 years (3 semesters) I have not been interested in medicine. I was geared towards research and that's what I did. Hence, I didn't really bother to volunteer anywhere. I have volunteered at a nursing home in high school and I volunteered at the public library (not shelving books, but doing teen-organized programmes for the community).

1. can I use my high school volunteer experiences on my med school app.

2. Am I really set back in terms of the QUANTITY of volunteer work - I can work my butt off this summer and this junior year and next summer and probably accumulate like 500 hours or so.

3. Are they going to look down upon my not volunteering for first 2 years, especially when it just wasn't necessary for my initial career choice?

4. I plan on getting myself involved in many types of volunteer work this next year, partially to make up for not having done volunteer work during my first two years. How many hours should I put in a week, and how many different types of projects should I pick up?

Guest cheech10

1. yes (OMSAS says anything since you were 16, I think)

2. 500 is not a little. quality is more important anyway

3. not such a big issue, just explain it (other interests, etc.)

Don't use the excuse that a previous career didn't need it; you should be doing it by choice, not because your app "needs" it.

4. highly variable. Quality is key, eg. patient interactions are more valuable than gift shop work.

PyariCgudia:

The fact that you have research experience is a plus. If you have published, an even bigger plus. With regards to volunteering, I see at as an opportunity for you to not only give back to your community, but to also see for yourself if medicine is right for you. Getting involved in a local hospital, working with patients, and observing the staff should provide you with a feel for what life might be like as a physician. Is there any way that you could combine research and clinical exposure?

I didn't do much direct hospital volunteering, but I did work with a neurologist at a hospital during undergrad. Although much of the work was computer-based, I did manage to gain clinical exposure by simply asking to both help organize patient studies and follow his residents on rounds.

Just some ideas. Quality experiences from which you can draw meaningful personal perspectives go a long way in a medical school interview.

PD

Guest UofT Student

Hi PyariCgudia:

Just wondering, what made you suddenly decide to switch from research to medicine?

And just to reaffirm what others have said, you should choose volunteer activities that you enjoy, not ones that you think might impress the adcom. Total number of hours aren't that important compared to what you LEARNED about yourself and the world around you.

Guest Never2Late

Hello. I thought that this might be an appropriate area in which to ask my question regarding volunteer work.

First of all, I am still a long way from the point of applying but remain very focused on my plans to attend med school.

My question is this. I am a registered nurse and have (for the past five years) been a member of the local executive for RNAO (Reg. Nurses Assn of Ont - for those who don't know). I am the Communications and Membership Rep where my involvement consists of the planning and implementation of various presentations, creation and distribution of a quarterly newsletter, attendance at monthly local meetings and yearly provincial meetings held in the GTA. Is this, in itself, suitable for volunteering activity (in your opinion) or would it be beneficial to round out my activities with other experiences. I am also a CPR instructor for the Heart & Stroke Fndn of Ont - but since I get paid for classes held I do not think that the work for them would be considered a volunteer type of activity. If other experience would be reccommended - any suggestions?

Thanks!

I could be wrong, but I don't think it is necessary to volunteer at "a lot" of places. Having experience in a health care field is important, and, in my opinion, moreso than simply volunteering for the sake of volunteering. I volunteered for two years in CT and emerg and then started working in emerg, and have been doing so for the last year. My success in obtaining interviews once I started this job jumped enormously, and I attribute my success in getting in this year to having had this invaluable experience. I have learned a great deal, and my interviewers seemed to be really interested in my job and what I did. Basically what I am saying in that it seems like everyone gets caught up in the whole "volunteering" aspect of life and getting into med school. Maybe the actual experience is more valuable than whether or not one is paid for what they are doing. I could be wrong, and others may disagree, but this stems from my personal experience with both working and volunteering and what I have learned. I, too, got caught up in the whole volunteering thing, but when I interviewed nobody seemed to care how many hours I had put in or whether my experienceS were rewarded monetarily or not. Just a thought.....

Guest UTMed07

Never2Late:

You've done something for the community and looked after the sick.

You know what health care is about.

That IMHO is what is important... and for most applicants what volunteering provides.

>First of all, I am still a long way from the point of applying but

>remain very focused on my plans to attend med school.

No reason not try this year, unless the GPA needs a boost. You'll probably want to take a good look at McMaster--they like mature students and have accepted a number of nurses in the past. :)

Guest Never2Late

Thanks to both of you for your replies - I really appreciate them.

Fox - I have not been too concerned about the number of hours that I have devoted to 'volunteering'. I have put a lot of work into RNAO and therefore do not question my hours of experience. In the past I have (at times) considered giving up this particular role - as there are MANY times when life just seems too busy to dedicate what is left of my 'spare time'. However, I also realize that I am gaining excellent experience and opportunities which would otherwise not exist (many of which will hopefully look great to the admission committees! Although this is not the only reason for my continued involvement.) Really, I was just wondering if I should focus on something other than healthcare/medicine along with RNAO in order to look "more rounded".

UTMed07 - thanks for the reply along with the link! Actually, I have looked at the stats and am aware of the number of nurses they (Mac) have selected. It seems to me the 2005 (?) class actually has 11 rns! So... nursing seems to be quite an acceptable background. As far as being ready to apply... I am a college graduate and still need to complete my nursing degree.

I think Mac and perhaps the NOMS will be my only schools to apply to considering that - I am only taking two years of university (degree completion program for post RNs), I am 'mature' :lol , not to mention the rest of my untraditional background. Basically, I am still sorting out all of my potential options at this point.

Also... after all this time spent on this site, I STILL cannot seem to figure out what IMHO means.

Once again, thanks.

Guest dfenst

I think the concept of volunteering wrt med applications is to show that you are a giving person when there's no immediate benefit from it. I guess they're trying to see the altruistic side to you. In that case, I think showing your high school volunteer (whether your school forced you to do it or not ;) ) is a positive thing.

I only got serious about my interests in medicine sometime in 2001. At that point, I did start doing volunteering, both within the hospital and without. I had done volunteer things, too, in high school and CEGEP, but I had enough things to mention in my essay and interview that these didn't come up (McGill essay). OMSAS makes you list everything you've ever done, so I guess you could put it there. I would sugegst, to get some (500 hours seems like a TON of time!) volunteer work for the whole "what have you done for me lately" phenomenon.

Good luck,

Dan

Archived