Premed 101 Forums

Suck at Chemistry, is it game over for Meds?

Guest newbee

Guest newbee

As the title says, no matter how hard I try, I just can't seem to get it? Is it game over for med school?

Does taking Chem beyond the first year level help for the MCAT's?

I know Mac doesn't need any science, but by the time I'm ready (3or4 years) I think they have a plan to introduce requirements like Ottawa, plus you can't rely on Mac, its like looking for a needle in a haystack, and the needle can change form and turn into a piece of hay at will :\

Guest aneliz

You will need to have a good understanding of both general chem and basic organic chem for the MCAT...however, none of the general chem on the MCAT is too much beyond the last year of high school level...so don't get too stressed.

As for med schools requiring chem, yes many of them do. But not all of them require you to have a good mark in it...UWO for example only wants you to have PASSED it....that's it, nothing more. If chem is not in one of your best GPA years, it is not used to calculate your GPA....

You will want to make sure that you have as good a grasp as possible of things like acids and bases before med school though...these are important in medicine....for things like drug interactions, pharmacokinetics, electrolyte balances, etc.

Don't get too discouraged, but I urge you to audit a first year chem course next year if you have already passed it...you will be amazed at how much you can pick up the second time through....

Good luck!

Andrea

Archived