Premed 101 Forums

2015 Countdown

my pi just forwarded me the request for reference email. i wonder if they're moving alphabetically or if there is any relation to your position on the ranking system.

I thought about that, too. I would think its alpha or applicant #. No reason to go through based on rankings.

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Only 10 more days, btw! I actually am not too worried about it if I don't get in because I am still debating deferring for a year to finish my masters... I just got a CIHR scholarship which makes the choice I little tougher because my supervisor still pays my stipend as usual... so basically my income doubles for the next 12 months as a grad student. If I go into med I have to give up my scholarship after only 2 months :'(. And if I stay theres a good chance I can first author at least 3 maybe 4 papers... Oh well. Cross that bridge if I come to it!

Only 10 more days, btw! I actually am not too worried about it if I don't get in because I am still debating deferring for a year to finish my masters... I just got a CIHR scholarship which makes the choice I little tougher because my supervisor still pays my stipend as usual... so basically my income doubles for the next 12 months as a grad student. If I go into med I have to give up my scholarship after only 2 months :'(. And if I stay theres a good chance I can first author at least 3 maybe 4 papers... Oh well. Cross that bridge if I come to it!

mhmm but also think of the lost income of delaying your md degree by 1 year. if you retire at the same age, that's 200-400k lost for 23-25k of income now. imagine all the candy you can buy with that. of course if you want to do clinical research, the value of extra first author papers may be worth it  :lol:

Did not think you could defer an acceptance to finish masters.

I thought the cutoff was 34 v11. I had a 34 v11 and was wait listed for an interview and eventually was given one.

Edit: nvm I was half asleep and read that as 35 v10 not 34 v10.

well I'm 35/10vr so still good! 

Thanks and best of luck with your application

mhmm but also think of the lost income of delaying your md degree by 1 year. if you retire at the same age, that's 200-400k lost for 23-25k of income now. imagine all the candy you can buy with that. of course if you want to do clinical research, the value of extra first author papers may be worth it :lol:

Haha yeah it's not really about the grand total of money at the end it's more about having the space and time to finish my degree and publish papers while having a liveable income (more like 30 K after taxes). My end goal is clinical research and I've tentatively applied to md/phd so it's pretty relevant! If it was just a time delay before I got into med then it would be a no brainer for sure :P, but in fact, med was my plan B afterthought plan. Kinda did things backwards to a lot of other people I think haha

Haha yeah it's not really about the grand total of money at the end it's more about having the space and time to finish my degree and publish papers while having a liveable income (more like 30 K after taxes). My end goal is clinical research and I've tentatively applied to md/phd so it's pretty relevant! If it was just a time delay before I got into med then it would be a no brainer for sure :P, but in fact, med was my plan B afterthought plan. Kinda did things backwards to a lot of other people I think haha

I have to agree with you here. Clinical research is really fun. I can only imagine how much more fun it would be if you actually had the clinical know how to identify places a difference can be made. It is definitely one of the many things that excites me about doing medicine. Come on admissions... Just let me slide by this one :P

I swear I am so envious of you people! Did anyone of your interviewer was distracted by cell phone? 

Good luck o everyone!

what do you mean? your interviewer pulled out his/her cellphone during the interview? did you report that to the adcom? i had an interviewer at uofc completely ignore me and play with paperclips under the desk until i paused and looked at him. probably should have said something to admissions but it's too late :/

Ya lol oh well! I got rejected; I guess I need to improve my skills! 

I guess I will have to work this year! I want to do pHD/MD anyway so I could say I got opportunity because my MCAT I wrote last year was 'severely damaged' due to electricity blackout :)

Gosh do I have the worst luck!

I swear I am so envious of you people! Did anyone of your interviewer was distracted by cell phone?

Good luck o everyone!

I did not have that. I did have one person who just didn't seem very interested in my response. I chalked it up to it being the last station and him hearing the same response repeatedly.

Barry had pointed out that someone using the phone during an interview would be inappropriate and should be reported. At least this is me working off my memory. Anyone else recall this from the post interview info session?

yeah, i recall him saying that too. but he also said there was a deadline for reporting interviewers (within a few days or something?). i had one guy that was a bit unenthusiastic as well but i think i rallied in the end haha. talking to people after the interview and hearing what they said, it really puts into perspective how similar the responses really are. you come out thinking, wow i thought of some interesting unique points but in reality the interviewers heard that time and time again. i just hope i ranked in the top 50% of the 94 OOP left.

yeah, i recall him saying that too. but he also said there was a deadline for reporting interviewers (within a few days or something?). i had one guy that was a bit unenthusiastic as well but i think i rallied in the end haha. talking to people after the interview and hearing what they said, it really puts into perspective how similar the responses really are. you come out thinking, wow i thought of some interesting unique points but in reality the interviewers heard that time and time again. i just hope i ranked in the top 50% of the 94 OOP left.

QFT. Yeah, you and me both!

I wouldn't be surprised if some interviewers are actually instructed to act in a certain manner. When you're a physician, you'll have to face people like that all the time.

I read that a lot for Australian MMIs, but Saskatchewan didn't seem to have those types of instructions. At least I didn't feel like they did. All the interviewers seemed like they wanted to know your answer and asked follow up questions if there was time left over. The only one I may put into the 'act a certain way' category would be my last station, but that really could've just been him getting fatigued and bored.

I read that a lot for Australian MMIs, but Saskatchewan didn't seem to have those types of instructions. At least I didn't feel like they did. All the interviewers seemed like they wanted to know your answer and asked follow up questions if there was time left over. The only one I may put into the 'act a certain way' category would be my last station, but that really could've just been him getting fatigued and bored.

I personally noticed that some interviewers were very personable and conversational while others were a lot more formal.

I personally noticed that some interviewers were very personable and conversational while others were a lot more formal.

I see that as the personality of the interviewer. I took part in MMIs in the past and a lot of it really just depended on the interviewers. You can standardize answers and such, but its really tough to standardize the interviewee experience because interviewers are humans (each with their own personalities). I remember being the part of the standardization team for a year and every interviewer had their own thing. Even though they are expressly told not to do certain things like smile etc, they will still go ahead and do it. The following years, the faculty decided not to bother with those instructions because the scores actually didn't change by a significant margin (i.e. the standardizer and interviewer score was more or less the same). The only real instructions were to try and standardize the way applicants were marked i.e. the expectations should be close to the same between interviewers at each station.

mine was a guy as well. haha maybe it was the same guy. younger looking? maybe a current med student?

Archived