Premed 101 Forums

If You Couldn't Be A Physician, What Would You Be?

It's the age old question (and the popular interview one apparently). And it's probably a tough one for all the dedicated pre-meds and med students on the forum here.

I would be a lawyer. I like being in a fast paced job, and criminal law, debating complexities as well as our justice system have always intrigued me. I'd like to be a member of the community that can not only enforce the law but also take an active part in confronting it's limitations and making it more just.

What about you all?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've gone back and forth with this over the last few years because I need to have a backup plan in place. Finally decided on my original plan: medical physics. It'll mean at least an extra two years of undergrad since I'll need honours physics, and then at least two more years on top of that for a masters, then quite possibly a residency since my interest is primarily around clinical medical physics, not research, though those are even harder to get into than med school.

I'm meeting with one of my profs (a research medical physicist) to discuss it next week, actually.

It's the age old question (and the popular interview one apparently). And it's probably a tough one for all the dedicated pre-meds and med students on the forum here.

I would be a lawyer. I like being in a fast paced job, and criminal law, debating complexities as well as our justice system have always intrigued me. I'd like to be a member of the community that can not only enforce the law but also take an active part in confronting it's limitations and making it more just.

What about you all?

I dislike certain things about my profession, but there are cool things about it too!

You could do this and get those things as a back up plan if you want. It is good that you are interested in criminal if you want to be on your feet. It's the only place where I think you legit get that.

Only thing is all avenues is crim pay is pretty low compared to law school tuition. Anything over $40K in student loans and you will hate your life.

Crown:everything you mentioned, really hard to get in

Defence: same as Crown but you work insane hours and never get a raise after the first few years unless you turn out to be one of the top in the country (same pay as legal aid for the most part)

Legal Aid Duty Counsel:on your feet but not really getting into the complexities of the law. Other lawyers look down on them,wrongfully so I think, but it's something that gets on your nerves after a while. Almost no room for advancement, and in Ontario you will probably never be on the Sunshine List (which would be particularly annoying I think when you deal with Crowns and cops all day and you get paid way less than them, you would feel like you're not valued). Best part about this one is you are really are always on your feet. You don't do trials so there is very little desk work.

I would like to join the cast of The Social. Bonus that I would be the youngest on the show rather than the oldest person in med school!

I dislike certain things about my profession, but there are cool things about it too!

You could do this and get those things as a back up plan if you want. It is good that you are interested in criminal if you want to be on your feet. It's the only place where I think you legit get that.

Only thing is all avenues is crim pay is pretty low compared to law school tuition. Anything over $40K in student loans and you will hate your life.

Crown:everything you mentioned, really hard to get in

Defence: same as Crown but you work insane hours and never get a raise after the first few years unless you turn out to be one of the top in the country (same pay as legal aid for the most part)

Legal Aid Duty Counsel:on your feet but not really getting into the complexities of the law. Other lawyers look down on them,wrongfully so I think, but it's something that gets on your nerves after a while. Almost no room for advancement, and in Ontario you will probably never be on the Sunshine List (which would be particularly annoying I think when you deal with Crowns and cops all day and you get paid way less than them, you would feel like you're not valued). Best part about this one is you are really are always on your feet. You don't do trials so there is very little desk work.

I would like to join the cast of The Social. Bonus that I would be the youngest on the show rather than the oldest person in med school!

Wow! Thank you for explaining all of this! The only real contact I've had with the legal profession is through classes, as well as watching trials (and those were usually US trials) so to read through all of the various branches is REALLY interesting, and your candid commentary regarding some of the dynamics is also very much appreciated.

I've actually seriously thought about writing the LSAT as a "backup". It feels awful to say that though, because I really do respect lawyers, in all their forms, immensely so. And becoming a lawyer isn't some sort of throw away "backup plan" either, it taked dedication and time to enter. I think it's a challenging and incredible profession, so yeah, I definitely don't mean to diminish it in any way. 

This has actually inspired me. I think I'll take a summer course or do some reading about the law system here in Canada!

When I dropped off my LORs in September, I literally saw only 2 people there. One was sorting the mails, and one was answering phone calls! LOL.. I could not believe my eyes!!!

But in fairness, they would really only have that sort of huge rush for like a month? Or maybe the last two weeks before applications are due. 

I appreciate the lady who always answered my calls all the more now. 

Wow! Thank you for explaining all of this! The only real contact I've had with the legal profession is through classes, as well as watching trials (and those were usually US trials) so to read through all of the various branches is REALLY interesting, and your candid commentary regarding some of the dynamics is also very much appreciated.

I've actually seriously thought about writing the LSAT as a "backup". It feels awful to say that though, because I really do respect lawyers, in all their forms, immensely so. And becoming a lawyer isn't some sort of throw away "backup plan" either, it taked dedication and time to enter. I think it's a challenging and incredible profession, so yeah, I definitely don't mean to diminish it in any way.

This has actually inspired me. I think I'll take a summer course or do some reading about the law system here in Canada!

No problem at all. There is nothing disrespectful or diminishing about law being a second choice (just don't include this fact in an app, lol).

You are welcome to PM me about it. Other people have and I am a bit behind actually (sorry peeps! ).

Maybe I should just start an "ask me about law" thread and be more efficient!

No problem at all. There is nothing disrespectful or diminishing about law being a second choice (just don't include this fact in an app, lol).

You are welcome to PM me about it. Other people have and I am a bit behind actually (sorry peeps! ).

Maybe I should just start an "ask me about law" thread and be more efficient!

prelaw101.com perhaps  B)

prelaw101.com perhaps B)

They have a forum called law students.ca. There is some pretty funny stuff there actually.

I feel so old because back when I was making these decisions, I was literally looking at the requirements on paper. Actually there is something healthy about it. I post and read on here, but I am old and cynical. If I were a traditional student, a lot of the discussions on here would ruin my confidence.

They have a forum called law students.ca. There is some pretty funny stuff there actually.

I feel so old because back when I was making these decisions, I was literally looking at the requirements on paper. Actually there is something healthy about it. I post and read on here, but I am old and cynical. If I were a traditional student, a lot of the discussions on here would ruin my confidence.

Okay, I might just lurk there lol 

Are you talking about the law forum or this one?

In any case, I think the bolded is one of the big issues with the forum format, despite all of it's positives. It's understandable because the nature of the forum will invite really competitive and qualified people, but it can be really discouraging to read if you're just starting out on the whole pre-med thing. Having the extra support in the form of anonymous colleagues can be really heartening, but the inevitable comparisons are difficult to deal with, especially when you're nervous and scared about applying.

I was referring to this forum when I said that. I do think that the forum is actually very positive and you get a good perspective, but at the same time, people have really good stats and that can be intimidating.

Sometimes it's good to just try and forget that the competition exists. Law School is a bit of a shit show competition, but in my experience, helping your peers actually helps you. I guess I think it's a good thing to mentally check out sometimes!

I've gone back and forth with this over the last few years because I need to have a backup plan in place. Finally decided on my original plan: medical physics. It'll mean at least an extra two years of undergrad since I'll need honours physics, and then at least two more years on top of that for a masters, then quite possibly a residency since my interest is primarily around clinical medical physics, not research, though those are even harder to get into than med school.

I'm meeting with one of my profs (a research medical physicist) to discuss it next week, actually.

I know how you feel! While I don't think my backup is harder to get into than med school, I do think it may be close. My backup is cardiovascular perfusion and the school in Vancouver only accepts 6 applicants every 2 years. I believe there are only 2 or 3 schools in Canada that offer the program.

For me, the moment I realized my backup was not a backup was when I found out there was an MMI. Oh and the whole 6 students per intake thing.

Archived