Premed 101 Forums

pharmacy

Guest minnieMD

Guest minnieMD

Hi,

I know this is not a Pharmacy forum (why is not included?) but since some of you have posted messages related to pharmacy...it has got me thinking.

Does anyone know what the pharmacy workload/curriculum is like? I heard it's easy in the 1st two years but it gets quite challenging in later years. What do you think?

Guest UofA man

First 2 years at UofA is relatively easy, especially if you get credit for Biochem and Physiology. However you don't really learn anything and it is pretty useless. you learn everything in 3rd year and then forget it by the end of 4th year and rememorize for the board exams. 4th year you spend half the year on rotation and half the year taking classes that mean nothing. and just look forward to graduation...

Guest druggist

Regards,

I am currently enrolled in the Dalhousie B.Sc. (Pharm.) program. The first year is exactly like a second year B.Sc. with the exception of Pharmacology, and some laboratory compounding (of drugs), and as it requires all the basic science courses this gives you your pre-med electives. Second year begins the first of three involved in the study of pharmacotherapy, pharmacology, medicinal chemistry, physiology, and pharmacokinetics of each clinical area within medicine (eg cardiology, respiratory, etc.). It is quite labor intensive and is harder to ace courses than another undergrad program such as a B.Sc. or B.A./B.B.A. etc.

However, the knowledge is practical for a aspiring physician and will help in the long run, plus it gives something to do if you don't receive immediate acceptance (a clinical residency could be done). Also, I have met many anesthesiologists, internists have phamacy degrees and they say it helps with these specializations.

Cheers!

Hope it helped

Archived