Premed 101 Forums

May 15Th, 2015 Support Thread

• Replies 413
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I still don't see the harm in them releasing results if they have it, and simply keeping the deadline to decide the same as before. That would not change anything for individuals who have multiple acceptances and need time to decide (in-fact they would have more time to decide knowing they have/do not have an acceptance at UBC).  

I gather from UBC's blog post they were  worried about creating more work and confusion in the process if they released earlier, but you could just make it clear that seat deposits and any inquiries wait until after May 15th.

That way people would just know sooner, but the actual logistics of the process would remain unchanged...  

But i'm sure they have their reasons, even if it isn't as apparent to us who are biased haha :P

But then that would defeat the purpose, since if you didnt get a rejection you would know you were accepted/waitlisted...in that case may as well send it all out :P

lol i agree but then I'd imagine it takes time for them to select the applicants they want to admit so I understand that they need to meet and go case-by-case to make those decisions and that perhaps takes time.. but the group with absolute rejections... maybe they can find out sooner lol 

i don't know man.. I remember feeling the same waiting for my MCAT score.. and I thought that was the worst time of my life.. and here i am waiting for something that is much much bigger lol

Maybe a brave soul should call UBC admissions and very kindly ask if there was any possibility of them moving the results release date earlier, especially in light of their first reason:

"we wait until then because many other Canadian medical schools send their offers on or around this date as well. This allows applicants who receive offers from multiple schools time to consider the offers simultaneously." (UBC MD Admissions blog, 9th March)

and a second reason being to accommodate those who might want/need to retake the MCAT (knowing how MCAT dates can fill up pretty quickly).

Or we can hope that one of the adcom members is lurking around these forums at this crucial (and highly vulnerable) period and addresses this concern of ours by posting on the admissions blog (if this is the case, then maybe we should start a dedicated thread on this topic so it's easier for them to see it!). 

I mean, it used to be that most schools did indeed release their results May ~15ish. But with the bringing forward of UofA's and UofC's results dates, it's now quite a good range of dates: Apr 20, May 1, May 12, May 14 (and this isn't even including the Atlantic schools yet, which are even earlier). It would be amazing if UBC tried to bend a little :) Even if it's a week earlier!!! May 11th? May 8th?? May 1st!??!!?!?!??!?!!?

Hi UBC MD admissions staff (I know you're reading this). It's Goku here, you know, the guy who saved your lives countless times? Anyway, Frieza has threatened to destroy Earth so it'd be great if you can release the results now. That way I would know if I should start training again or pass on the role to Vegeta. Thanks.

Hi UBC MD admissions staff (I know you're reading this). It's Goku here, you know, the guy who saved your lives countless times? Anyway, Frieza has threatened to destroy Earth so it'd be great if you can release the results now. That way I would know if I should start training again or pass on the role to Vegeta. Thanks.

Not bad, but I'd throw in something about how you're gonna make it to Super Saiyan, just so they know the urgency of the situation. 

I've never understood the explanation that schools need to coordinate. Can't they just release results when they are ready, then have a country wide date when answers are due?

My thoughts exactly, they could even make it so they don't start accepting seat deposits until all schools have released. To prevent someone putting down a deposit, then rescinding if they got into their 1st choice.

But they must know something we don't? 

Here's the list of dates that I gathered based on last years/this years updates:

UBC- May 15

UofC- April 20

UofA - May 4th

UofS - May 15

UofM- May 14

Ontario

Queens- May 13

Ottawa -May 13

Toronto - May 13

Western-May 13

NOSM - May 13

McMaster -May 13

Mcgill

Dalhousie - March 17

Memorial - Feb 16/ March 30

It seems to me if Ontario just hurried up, then there wouldn't be a reason not to do it earlier :P (Even less so than already).

Thanks for sharing this. At least UBC, UofS & UofM could move the date to May 13 so that the majority of schools will release the results together.

My thoughts exactly, they could even make it so they don't start accepting seat deposits until all schools have released. To prevent someone putting down a deposit, then rescinding if they got into their 1st choice.

Here's the list of dates that I gathered based on last years/this years updates:

UBC- May 15

UofC- April 20

UofA - May 4th

UofS - May 15

UofM- May 14

Ontario
Queens- May 13

Ottawa -May 13

Toronto - May 13

Western-May 13

NOSM - May 13

McMaster -May 13

Mcgill

Dalhousie - March 17

It seems to me if Ontario just hurried up, then there wouldn't be a reason not to do it earlier :P (Even less so than already).

UBC- May 15

UofC- April 20

UofA - May 4th

UofS - May 15

UofM- May 14

Ontario

Queens- May 13

Ottawa -May 13

Toronto - May 13

Western-May 13

NOSM - May 13

McMaster -May 13

Mcgill

Dalhousie - March 17

interesting... i thought most of the schools were releasing on the 15th.. i guess not

How much grunting would this conversation contain? Serious question.

UBC- May 15

UofC- April 20

UofA - May 4th

UofS - May 15

UofM- May 14

Ontario

Queens- May 13

Ottawa -May 13

Toronto - May 13

Western-May 13

NOSM - May 13

McMaster -May 13

Mcgill

Dalhousie - March 17

I believe Ontario schools are May 12 this year.. so actually even earlier!

UBC- May 15

UofC- April 20

UofA - May 4th

UofS - May 15

UofM- May 14

Ontario

Queens- May 13

Ottawa -May 13

Toronto - May 13

Western-May 13

NOSM - May 13

McMaster -May 13

Mcgill

Dalhousie - March 17

Presumably, since all the schools would have the same deadline for accepting offers, nobody would put down a deposit early unless they'd been accepted to their first choice already.

Also, either they know something we don't or they just do it the same way because that's the way it's always been done. If I had to guess, I bet on the latter.

Presumably, since all the schools would have the same deadline for accepting offers, nobody would put down a deposit early unless they'd been accepted to their first choice already.

Also, either they know something we don't or they just do it the same way because that's the way it's always been done. If I had to guess, I bet on the latter.

Interestingly, as it is now the schools have the same date for releasing the results (except for this year), but different deadlines for acceptances. You'd think the second would be more important than the first if the objective was fairness.

Maybe they believe the time taken to consider the offer could factor in the choice, i.e. if you're sitting on an offer for a month vs. a week, you've had a longer time to think about the first offer so you're more likely to accept it? That might be a bit of a stretch...

Thats my guess too. There isn't much logic to not doing it earlier and just making the deadlines set well after all have released... 

Oh well, we have no control over it.

Interestingly, as it is now the schools have the same date for releasing the results (except for this year), but different deadlines for acceptances. You'd think the second would be more important than the first if the objective was fairness.

Maybe they believe the time taken to consider the offer could factor in the choice, i.e. if you're sitting on an offer for a month vs. a week, you've had a longer time to think about the first offer so you're more likely to accept it? That might be a bit of a stretch...

Yes, from a logistical stand point your first paragraph is exactly what I'm talking about.

I mean, I get not releasing it if they aren't done or finalized. But based on their announcement, they are finalized well before May 15th. Thus it doesn't make any sense not to release results.

Why do UofC, Dalhousie, & Memorial release the results so early? Do their 1st year courses start earlier than other schools, like sometime in summer?

UofC- April 20

Dalhousie - March 17

Archived