Premed 101 Forums

an ethical question

Guest dremk

Guest dremk

I will be applying to med. school this fall and have started to get everything in order so I can get my application in nice and early. When deciding on references, however, a concern developed. A person I have known for almost ten years (in various different capacities) volunteered to write me a letter. I know that this person would write me an amazing reason and the reccommendation means a lot consdering this person has inspired me to persue medicine. My concern is that this person happens to be part of the faculty at one of the med. schools that I will be applying to. Do you think it matters?

Guest UTMed07

It shouldn't matter at all. I don't think it is problem even if the person sits on the admissions committee.

If there is a potential conflicit of interest in the admissions committee (which I find hard to imagine there would be), it isn't for you to worry about.

isnt that reference PERFECT?????

a) they have seen med students

B) they are writing you a good letter

c) it is probably a well respected person

GO FOR IT

Guest Toonces

One of my reference letters was from a prof I worked with at one of the schools, and I think it was all to my advantage. You couldn't do any better, really, than to get a great letter from a prof at one of the schools...after all, it's not like they're writing one for everyone else, is it?

I also wanted to point out that for ontario schools, your reference letter matters very very little. Im surprised they even take them into consideration. EVERYONE is going to choose someone who will say something good about them, and in fact there is little space for comments on the OMSAS application. When i applied, it was check boxes for about 12 questions and one paragraph to say something.

Think about it, schools get 1700 applications and interview ~500. Reading 500 applications or more is fairly tedious seeing as how the med schools only get the applications about a couple of months before interview stuff is sent out. In fact, UWO DOESNT EVEN USE THEM.

I believe U of Ottawa will be following suit too.

Archived