Premed 101 Forums

May 12 Support Thread

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply

McMaster Medicine Class of 2018 group already exists.

Not that I'm obsessing, mind you....

I'm confused... who exactly is in that group right now? 

EDIT: Checked it... mostly 2017 students from all 3 campuses. Probably to invite people into the group later on and help facilitate things initially.

I'd be posting in this thread way more if I'd opened my computer once in the last three days. Responding from the phone is too annoying if my post is longer than a few sentences.

I just realised that I am not as concerned about getting rejected as I am about having to tell people I didn't get in. That will be the most painful part of this whole process since it'll take weeks before I run into everyone who knows - everyone will be so sad for me and I'll have already moved on (well, most of the time, I hope)!

I just realised that I am not as concerned about getting rejected as I am about having to tell people I didn't get in. That will be the most painful part of this whole process since it'll take weeks before I run into everyone who knows - everyone will be so sad for me and I'll have already moved on (well, most of the time, I hope)!

This. I'm somewhat ready to face whatever music comes my way on Tuesday and deal with it accordingly, but the fact that my parents, my friends and most of the people at my local community knows about my interview and would be trying to console me should I not succeed is unbearable. I've already been asked about the whole thing 3-4 times this weekend and all this external pressure is starting to jam my internal zen LOL.

I'd be posting in this thread way more if I'd opened my computer once in the last three days. Responding from the phone is too annoying if my post is longer than a few sentences.

This. I'm somewhat ready to face whatever music comes my way on Tuesday and deal with it accordingly, but the fact that my parents, my friends and most of the people at my local community knows about my interview and would be trying to console me should I not succeed is unbearable. I've already been asked about the whole thing 3-4 times this weekend and all this external pressure is starting to jam my internal zen LOL.

THIS THIS THIS. I feel like it would be much easier to deal with a bad outcome if only I knew about it. But alas not only my family, but all my extended family, professors, classmates (and heck in some cases, their families!) know about it. And everyone seems to have so much faith in me and thinks that I will get in for sure when I'm just a bag of doubts and nerves. However, if it's a good result, it would be so wonderful to share that news with our well-wishers over a piece of cake or something. I think I will start yelling out on the streets and dance with random strangers if I got in.

Yeah all my coworkers found out I'm about to hear back soon but I decided not to tell them the exact date so I won't have 20+ people reminding me the number of days/hours left everyday. But turns out not telling them is worse because everyday I have people asking me if I heard back yet haha..

Yeah all my coworkers found out I'm about to hear back soon but I decided not to tell them the exact date so I won't have 20+ people reminding me the number of days/hours left everyday. But turns out not telling them is worse because everyday I have people asking me if I heard back yet haha..

Yeah I feel you. I just told my friends "sometime in May or June". Very few (just direct family + one or two friends) know the exact date. I had people asking me at work in February if I got in ugh.

And everyone seems to have so much faith in me and thinks that I will get in for sure when I'm just a bag of doubts and nerves. 

Me when people say this to me (and believe me, it's everyone): Do you realize what kind of people get into medical school?! Do you understand that I'm competing against some of the brightest, most accomplished people in the freaking province? DO YOU EVEN KNOW THAT I TURN INTO A POTATO WHEN IM UNDER THAT MUCH STRESS?

Of course this is all in my head. What I actually say: thanks 

Agree totally, the most agonizing thing last year when I got rejected was having to telling my friends, coworkers, family, and my supervisors over and over and over that I didn't get in. They just go "oh...i'm sorry, what happened?". I told everyone this year not to ask me, I'll tell THEM if it's good news; this way I can mope in peace.

Alternatively, I wish I could erase their memories of my med applications if it's bad news  :) .

Best of luck to everyone, we are almost at the finish line.

P.S - this thread is the only thing keeping me sane. 

I have an audience of... lots because of my blog, which includes the daughter of one of my coworkers so I'm crazy nervous about finding out and telling all these people who have been emailing me and sending me messages of support. I feel like I'm letting people down if I don't get in. Does that make sense? My boss and profs who wrote me LORs, and all the friends who have been supporting me through this, and my husband. I hate to feel like I might let them down.

Ugh. Can it be Tuesday now?

Has anyone else been over eating recently? Ive been pigging out recently and ruining my diet extraordinarily. Cookies, chocolate bars, sushi etc, its been a mess. My diet progress is probably all gone.

Anyone else experiencing this?

I really hope you get in this year but just in case you don't, I'd really recommend oral surgery the week before decision day. I'd have eaten so much this week, but instead I've been subsisting on liquids, I'm hungry all the time and have almost lost all the baby weight!

That reminds me, it's time to go flush out my tooth holes! The healing time is a lot longer than I expected it to be, so I really hope I am able to eat a big consolation dinner on Tuesday.

I really hope you get in this year but just in case you don't, I'd really recommend oral surgery the week before decision day. I'd have eaten so much this week, but instead I've been subsisting on liquids, I'm hungry all the time and have almost lost all the baby weight!

That reminds me, it's time to go flush out my tooth holes! The healing time is a lot longer than I expected it to be, so I really hope I am able to eat a big consolation dinner on Tuesday.

That's probably the most odd line I have ever heard.  "BRB, flushing out tooth holes".  Haha

When I got my wisdom teeth out, I went to "watch" my friends eat at an all-you-can-eat buffet the day after. But once in that setting, my appetite overwhelmed reasoning and medical advice and I totally downed a few plates haha... So if Tuesday calls for a celebration, I'm sure you'll forget all about the tooth holes and the risks of infection and dry socket!

I wish I did this...every single day my coworkers give me the whole, "the big day is coming soon! How does it feel that the rest of your life may change in just a few days?" 

I wish I did this...every single day my coworkers give me the whole, "the big day is coming soon! How does it feel that the rest of your life may change in just a few days?" 

you should do something secretly vengeful, like steal their stapler or eat their food when they leave it in the fridge 

When I got my wisdom teeth out, I went to "watch" my friends eat at an all-you-can-eat buffet the day after. But once in that setting, my appetite overwhelmed reasoning and medical advice and I totally downed a few plates haha... So if Tuesday calls for a celebration, I'm sure you'll forget all about the tooth holes and the risks of infection and dry socket!

It'll have been over a week by then so I'm sure it'll be fine! Two of my teeth were impacted so there are no holes there, just a bunch of stitches that are pretty tender still.

Re: tooth holes: I would have used the word "cavity" but that sounds too much like those other tooth cavities. I'm not so good with words, hence why I ditched my (accidental) career in journalism to pursue medicine.

It'll have been over a week by then so I'm sure it'll be fine! Two of my teeth were impacted so there are no holes there, just a bunch of stitches that are pretty tender still.

Re: tooth holes: I would have used the word "cavity" but that sounds too much like those other tooth cavities. I'm not so good with words, hence why I ditched my (accidental) career in journalism to pursue medicine.[/quote

Haha I went out for teriyaki dinner the day after I got mine out to celebrate my sisters 18th birthday. Complete with rice. Probably not the best plan, but I lived. :P

Wish we knew the exact time or at least an idea of when. Pretty sure Western released decisions last year around 2pm and onwards up to 4pm or later, which sucks because I'll be checking my email from 9am or earlier since there's a chance it may be released in the morning :(

Archived