Premed 101 Forums

May 12 Support Thread

Started watching Arrow to treat my Daredevil withdrawal. I watched the first episode of Flash but it seemed tacky and horrible, does it get better over the season?

I actually do enjoy Flash, but I'm a sucker for any superhero show/film (I watch Arrow, Agents of SHIELD, etc.). Flash definitely got better towards the end of the season, but I still prefer Arrow. 

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am heading off to backpack Central America with my best friend on Wednesday! Gotta say I'm very thankful to be doing this at this stressful time, although slightly nervous about internet connection down there on May 12.

PS Birdy, just from a few of your posts, I think we were sitting together Pre-MMI at Mac. I could be wrong but the description of your kids' ages sounds very familiar! Premed is such a small world.

Quite possibly - not many there with kids, hah. Circuit five, 8:30 group on March 22ed?

Backpacking Central America sounds fantastic! What countries are you heading to in particular?

Haha. That's awesome. I ran into at least four people who recognized me, including TurkeyHasTryptophan who actually called me Birdy which was very amusing. I'm not terribly hard to spot, to be honest and I make no effort to be anonymous on here.

Birdy: yes that's the one! Too funny. Was TurkeyHasTryptophan in our group as well?

We bought a one-way ticket so it depends how long we spend in each place and how long our bank accounts last (ha ha). We start in Costa Rica, head up to Nicaragua and then potentially up into Honduras & Guatemala but those 2 are still undecided. 

Before we know it, it's going to be the night of May 11th...what are some good movies to distract me in the mean time?

Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit marathon? Or a Harry Potter marathon.

John Wick was a surprisingly good film my husband wanted to see. Revenge action flick, but I found it enjoyable and I don't go for that sort of stuff much. Loved The Imitation Game and Theory of Everything, two of this year's Oscar nominees. Also, American Sniper. Takes a few liberties with the real story but honours it fairly well. Was quite fantastic.

Have you seen the BBC Sherlock series? It's hilarious and fantastically well-written. Not a ton of episodes but I really like it. Honours the source material quite well for a modern adaptation.

Also, The Knick. It's a TV series set in 1900. Fantastic acting and writing. I love it.

Have you seen the BBC Sherlock series? It's hilarious and fantastically well-written. Not a ton of episodes but I really like it. Honours the source material quite well for a modern adaptation.

Also, The Knick. It's a TV series set in 1900. Fantastic acting and writing. I love it.

Sherlock is absolutely amazing.  It's what started my man-crush on Benedict Cumberbatch.

I also love the Knick.

Birdy: yes that's the one! Too funny. Was TurkeyHasTryptophan in our group as well?

We bought a one-way ticket so it depends how long we spend in each place and how long our bank accounts last (ha ha). We start in Costa Rica, head up to Nicaragua and then potentially up into Honduras & Guatemala but those 2 are still undecided.

No, we passed him on the way to our MMI stations.

Costa Rica is on my list of placed to visit before I die. I hope you have an absolutely fantastic trip.

Sherlock is absolutely amazing. It's what started my man-crush on Benedict Cumberbatch.

I also love the Knick.

He's a fantastic actor. Absolutely loved him in The Imitation Game and I'm looking forward to Dr. Strange. Should be interesting to see how he pulls off being a superhero. I do so love Martin Freeman, though. Ever since Hitchhiker's Guide and Love Actually. He's so adorable I could hug him, but they went and made him an adorable badass in Sherlock and somehow it just fits.

Started watching Arrow to treat my Daredevil withdrawal. I watched the first episode of Flash but it seemed tacky and horrible, does it get better over the season?

Oh gosh, I definitely would say it got better through the season! Like Fleming though I'm similarly a sucker for Super hero / Comic book inspired shows and  I was hooked on episode one! The cross overs between Arrow and Flash are nice as well :)

Tackiness is definitely at all time highs in that show too I agree, but I think that's an inherent part of the Flash's storyline / arc in the Marvel Universe. If you can get past that I think the way they present a pretty cool 'Flash Point' inspired storyline and showing off his speed in the show is really well done! 

Gotham is also a little tacky at times but there's such a rich tapestry of stories to draw from (and from which they are succeeding in implementing) in the Batman Universe that you can really quickly find yourself looking past it to all the great story lines and characters! It's also great to see the rise of Gotham's iconic villains!! It's SO cool!  8) 

Anyone else going to go see Age of Ultron on Friday?

We're taking the kids. First time we're going to a movie at a theatre with all of us. My daughter is finally old enough to behave during a whole film. I'm more excited than they are.

I'm so glad that there are considerate parents like you out there who care about their kids potentially ruining other peoples' movie experiences.

We're taking the kids. First time we're going to a movie at a theatre with all of us. My daughter is finally old enough to behave during a whole film. I'm more excited than they are.

opening night? That will be a bit crazy :)

I'm so glad that there are considerate parents like you out there who care about their kids potentially ruining other peoples' movie experiences.

There are far more considerate parents than inconsiderate ones. None of my friends would take their kids to a regular screening of a film if they didn't know for sure the kid could behave. My kids will be reminded of (threatened with...) our "we all leave if you are disruptive" rule before we go.

opening night? That will be a bit crazy :)

Not so bad here, typically. Tiny population. My son wants to dress up for opening night when we go to see The Force Awakens in December.

I haven't even heard of that movie! I'm a little out of the loop when it comes to movies in theatre. Which is too bad since my kids are at prime disruption age!

Archived