Premed 101 Forums

May 12 Support Thread

• Replies 445
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember reading May 5th a while ago as well but recently they've been coming out around mid-May. Last year was May 13 and the year before was May 14 I'm pretty sure. So we're actually a bit early! ORPAS this year is also releasing on May 15th this year.

There seems to be a trend for Ontario professional programs releasing mid-May.

Second Tuesday of May the last few years. Makes sense it is a Tuesday. Gives the staff time to get in and get going on Monday of that week.

Ah, interesting. Thank you both for the replies!

Anyone know how it works with final grades Re: conditional offers, say at Western? Having just finished my finals this doesn't give them much time to consider this years grades when they start to trickle in. I know it's probably just hearsay and conjecture but I was wondering if anyone had any real clues as to when they would receive the grades and how they are looked at :)

Anyone know how it works with final grades Re: conditional offers, say at Western? Having just finished my finals this doesn't give them much time to consider this years grades when they start to trickle in. I know it's probably just hearsay and conjecture but I was wondering if anyone had any real clues as to when they would receive the grades and how they are looked at :)

I believe every school looks at things differently. Off the top of my head for UBC your cumulative average cannot drop more than 5% or something. Generally it is pretty difficult to do unless you completely bomb all your courses.

I think uOttawa is maintain a 3.85 in the year of admissions for in province applicants, not too sure about other places

Agreed that conditional offers vary by school. As for Western, no one knows their post-interview formula, but current grades don't really factor in beyond 'meets/does not meet minimum GPA requirement'. IIRC, they don't even ask for a final transcript unless you're accepted/waitlisted. As long as you're above the minimum GPA in your current year, then you're good to go.

For Western, if you have a conditional offer, they won't look at the grades from this year when extending offers because people get conditional acceptances and then submit their final transcripts. But you just need to have 3.7+ for this year (and meet the 3/5 course rule) to keep the offer.

For Western, if you have a conditional offer, they won't look at the grades from this year when extending offers because people get conditional acceptances and then submit their final transcripts. But you just need to have 3.7+ for this year (and meet the 3/5 course rule) to keep the offer.

exactly - there isn't much to check. You got a conditional offer (relatively few do) and you send in your transcript, they look it over for the year and done

It's going to go quickly. I have only two days off between now and then because I plan to take a few days off to celebrate/cry on the 12th. If anyone's hungry and in London come to Milestones Masonville and play spot the med app!

On another note, anybody watching the fight tonight? I'm pretty excited considering I'm not particularly a fan.

Yes, I'm going to watch the fight.  Haven't decided where yet.  You living in London?

So I had a dream the other night that I got into Western but it all unfolded in a rather odd way.

All the applicants were all present in person at some random house somewhere.  There was security all over the place, all of whom were really buff guys with those CIA earpieces in their ears.  Security would give each person a burner cell and someone from admissions would call them and tell them if they got in.  The admissions person first asked me about a suspicious $99 charge on my credit card before deciding to accept me.  Then all the applicants who were accepted would make their way out to the front yard for a pool party in one of those giant inflatable children's pools.

Sounds pretty awesome.

How are those of us with 1 interview coping with the stress? I think I need help...

I had two, but one was a super long shot and I didn't get in there (MUN.) I only had one interview in Ontario and I'm wavering between certainty I didn't get in and modest hope that I did. It doesn't help that people around me keep saying how sure they are that I got in because they just don't understand how competitive this process is. My one comfort is that the one school where I did interview is the one where my MCAT and GPA will give me the most advantage, so my interview only needs to be decent, not perfect.

Still nerve wracking.

I had two, but one was a super long shot and I didn't get in there (MUN.) I only had one interview in Ontario and I'm wavering between certainty I didn't get in and modest hope that I did. It doesn't help that people around me keep saying how sure they are that I got in because they just don't understand how competitive this process is. My one comfort is that the one school where I did interview is the one where my MCAT and GPA will give me the most advantage, so my interview only needs to be decent, not perfect.

Still nerve wracking.

always is! At least you are getting close :)

Hard to balance the hope, the fear and pain of not getting in, and the more stoic reminder even if this year it doesn't work out if your core app is strong then just keep going because you will get in eventually.

Still nerve wracking.

Your non-interview score is significantly above the average scores of the matriculating class in recent history.  I'm fairly confident in saying you would need a pretty bad interview to get rejected!

Your non-interview score is significantly above the average scores of the matriculating class in recent history. I'm fairly confident in saying you would need a pretty bad interview to get rejected!

Well, no one knows for sure exactly how they did on the interview so having such a large variable is the difficulty. My GPA and VR only count for 30% of my score and someone with the exact same stats was rejected last year, so no one really knows with this game. :)

And if I have to reapply, my chances next year will be significantly lower due to my GPA taking a beating this year. A lot is riding on this cycle for me. For all of us, really.

Well, no one knows for sure exactly how they did on the interview so having such a large variable is the difficulty. My GPA and VR only count for 30% of my score and someone with the exact same stats was rejected last year, so no one really knows with this game. :)

And if I have to reapply, my chances next year will be significantly lower due to my GPA taking a beating this year. A lot is riding on this cycle for me. For all of us, really.

GPA might be a bit lower but you are also open to more schools no?

Archived