Premed 101 Forums

I called today and said that I've heard a few people have got emails about applying to Queen's PT scholarships because their files have been moved on for further review, so if you don't receive an email does that mean you aren't being considered for further review or admission? .. She said she can't directly answer that, but she thinks its pretty self-explanatory. Sooo I'm going to assume if you didn't receive the email then you're not being considered and if you did receive the email then you're being more seriously considered for admission. She said she may send out emails for admission or rejection a few days in advance (of May 15th) but that heavily depends on her timing with the process, it might not be until the 15th. 

Hope this helps (or not :( ) but I'm sure I'm not the only one who's being tortured by this whole waiting until the 15th thing :\ 

I'm not sure. She made me feel rather dumb for asking, it was like "well if you didn't receive the email then you can guess what that means" kind of response... Maybe I took it wrong and I hope it does mean there's still hope if you didn't receive the email, but I'm just being realistic based on what she said/sounded like. Unfortunately the only real information isn't for a few more weeks :( 

Does anyone know how Queen's decided who was eligible for this scholarship? I am wondering if they sent it to all the people that were likely to be accepted or was there something on the application for you to identify as a child with immigrant parents.

well in my opinion i think it's obvious the personal statements had a lot to do with since that's what they weighed the most... (references too of course). then they just send out the emails to all the accepted people in advance to have it ready in the oven by the 15th.. and for the purpose of "diversifying", they choose the student who can write the best story growing up in a unique culture....  people who are multi generation canadians maybe don't win it by default but at least they get accepted......... forget the scholarship if it means i'll get accepted... :'( :'( :'(

well in my opinion i think it's obvious the personal statements had a lot to do with since that's what they weighed the most... (references too of course). then they just send out the emails to all the accepted people in advance to have it ready in the oven by the 15th.. and for the purpose of "diversifying", they choose the student who can write the best story growing up in a unique culture....  people who are multi generation canadians maybe don't win it by default by at least they get accepted......... forget the scholarship if it means i'll get accepted... :'( :'( :'(

I find it so strange that they would make assumptions if you are a child of immigrant parents by your personal statements. especially since most people (in my opinion) wouldn't mention their parents are immigrants.....

I find it so strange that they would make assumptions if you are a child of immigrant parents by your personal statements. especially since most people (in my opinion) wouldn't mention their parents are immigrants.....

They don't. They choose the preferred personal statements to move on the selection process, then read the follow-up statement you need to submit regarding your experience as a child of an immigrant. That's how they find out. Applying for the scholarship is optional, so they may never find out your background. 

They don't. They choose the preferred personal statements to move on the selection process, then read the follow-up statement you need to submit regarding your experience as a child of an immigrant. That's how they find out. Applying for the scholarship is optional, so they may never find out your background. 

That makes sense. I feel stupid lol

I emailed the lady from Queens to ask about upgrading my GPA next year, I knew I was on the low end with a 3.64 even though last years cutoff was only 3.55. But she told me the cutoff this year was 3.65 because they had a 22% increase in number of applications! Kick in the nuts for me, but what can you do. 
Not sure if that helps anyone else but just passing it on! 

If it helps at all, I go to Queen's and never received any of the of the emails I heard of others getting.  I don't actually know the rhyme or reason behind the emails but I can tell you that not getting one is definitely not the end of the world.  Not too much more waiting, hang in there :)

Are you enrolled into OT? The scholarship is only for PT apparently.

I emailed the lady from Queens to ask about upgrading my GPA next year, I knew I was on the low end with a 3.64 even though last years cutoff was only 3.55. But she told me the cutoff this year was 3.65 because they had a 22% increase in number of applications! Kick in the nuts for me, but what can you do. 

Not sure if that helps anyone else but just passing it on! 

I have a 3.88 GPA and I didn't get the email. I guess my statements weren't that good?

I have a 3.88 GPA and I didn't get the email. I guess my statements weren't that good?

perhaps. my sgpa is 3.77 and i didn't get in last year even though i was well above the cut off. when i called in for feedback the lady i spoke to basically told me that my marks were great, references were great, and gave me lots of info on how i should change my personal statement/get more experience (ie that wasn't so great). it seems to have helped since i got the email regarding the scholarship :D

with that gpa you'll more than likely get in at another school, but if not then i highly recommend calling queens, i found them very helpful.