Premed 101 Forums

Will These Lors Count As Science Or Non-Science For Amcas?

First post here!

I am finishing a bachelor of science in Kinesiology, BUT, the degree is within the faculty of education. Logically, I thought that Kinesiology courses would be science, but its not in the faculty of science. This is also a completely different degree to recreation and health education, which is also at our school, where students would take a bunch of sport courses like "Badminton" and they receive a bachelor of arts

In Kinesiology, we take cellular physiology, systemic physiology, exercise physiology, motor learning, motor control, functional anatomy, etc. In addition, it is a requirement to get into the Kinesiology program through completion of a year of chemistry, year of biology, and half a year of physics. So, if I were to get LORs from professors in Kinesiology, would this count towards the science letters since it is obviously science-intensive and is a bachelor of science, despite being in the faculty of education?

First post here!

I am finishing a bachelor of science in Kinesiology, BUT, the degree is within the faculty of education. Logically, I thought that Kinesiology courses would be science, but its not in the faculty of science. This is also a completely different degree to recreation and health education, which is also at our school, where students would take a bunch of sport courses like "Badminton" and they receive a bachelor of arts

In Kinesiology, we take cellular physiology, systemic physiology, exercise physiology, motor learning, motor control, functional anatomy, etc. In addition, it is a requirement to get into the Kinesiology program through completion of a year of chemistry, year of biology, and half a year of physics. So, if I were to get LORs from professors in Kinesiology, would this count towards the science letters since it is obviously science-intensive and is a bachelor of science, despite being in the faculty of education?

It may count for some schools and not others, best to contact the schools. It will be unlikely that they would say no to a course science based course like Physiology, regardless if it is in the bio department or kin department (even though its common heresay that kin courses are a bit lighter...)

It may count for some schools and not others, best to contact the schools. It will be unlikely that they would say no to a course science based course like Physiology, regardless if it is in the bio department or kin department (even though its common heresay that kin courses are a bit lighter...)

So I would have to tell them of the individual courses that the professors instructed rather than considering the degree holistically?

Referring to the courses being lighter, at my institution you need to apply to get into the Kin program and there are strict GPA cut-offs + maximum students/year, which makes it competitive to get into. Is that different to other Kin programs at schools? I have heard that some schools just throw all of the exercise-related students (including aspiring PE teachers) into one pool and label it "Kinesiology". If so, would that be worth mentioning to the offices of medical admissions at the schools I am applying to? I believe it adds more to my school's Kinesiology program in terms of credibility. 

So I would have to tell them of the individual courses that the professors instructed rather than considering the degree holistically?

Referring to the courses being lighter, at my institution you need to apply to get into the Kin program and there are strict GPA cut-offs + maximum students/year, which makes it competitive to get into. Is that different to other Kin programs at schools? I have heard that some schools just throw all of the exercise-related students (including aspiring PE teachers) into one pool and label it "Kinesiology". If so, would that be worth mentioning to the offices of medical admissions at the schools I am applying to? I believe it adds more to my school's Kinesiology program in terms of credibility. 

I'm only familiar with UBC and SFU's Kin programs which are generally pretty strong programs and science-background(And have many friends from those programs currently at UBC med and elsewhere). 

I wouldn't worry about adding to credibility, as long as you have taken the pre-reqs and scored strong on the MCAT, no one is going to bat an eye, aside from maybe asking you about it at the interview. In which case you can then just state that you have taken upper levels in key areas (biochemistry, physiology, etc). 

Don't waste your limited space on justifying your program.

Archived