Premed 101 Forums

Waterloo graduates, help please :)

Guest babytiger

Guest babytiger

hello, its been a while.

how's everyone???

i'll be attending Waterloo this fall 03, and its time for me to choose my courses.

my program is "pre-optometry/pre-health" and so this fall, i have to take following courses.

BIOL 130/130L

CHEM120/120L

PHYS 111/111L "OR" PHYS 121/121L

OKAY. first question.

for physics.. i have two options as you can see.

PHYS 111/111L is suppose to be.. introduction to physics for students intending to concentrate their studies in biology, dentistry, medicine and paramedicine.

PHYS 121/121L is for students going into physical sciences, optometry or mathematics

>> would anyone konw if i can go into optometry with PHYS 111/111L?? physics is not my friend. in fact its the worst thing that i must face next year, and i would like to study easier one if possible. hehe

now.. moving on to electives.

for my program, i get to choose two electives.

i was thinking of.. psychology and health studies..

however, after researching about the academic requirements for med&dent&opt schools. it seems like i really dont' have much choices..... and this is what they ask for

<UT dent>

12units in life sciences, 6 units in humanities or social sci

<UWO dent>

3units biochem, 6units human or mammalian physiology, 3units organic chem

<Mac med>

just 3 years of undergraduate studies

<UT med>

12units in lifesci, 6units humanities, social sci or languages - recommended:12units in courses that require expository writing, 3unit stat

<waterloo opt>

6units general bio, 6units chem, 6units physics, 6units calc, 3 units psychology, 6 english, 6 physiology, 3 genetics, 3 ethics, 3 organic chem, 3 microbio, 3 biochem, 3 stat - recommended: 3human anatomy, 3 embryology, 3 histology, 3 immunology OH GOD the list goes on!!!!

so yes. it seems like i need to take one humanity course.

can anyone recommend me some courses offered at waterloo??

as long as its not history, i think i'll be happy with it. its just that there are so many to choose from, so i'm seeking for soem advices/suggestions.

thank god i have a month to decide.

waterloo graduates, please tell me the courses you've taken in your first year and how you liked/disliked them. it would help me out a lot

thanks for your time.

have a wonderful day!!:rollin

Guest Nightrider

Ok...so tackling the physics first...I am pretty sure that you MUST have PHYS 121 and 122 to apply to Optometry. I took PHYS 111 and 112, because, like you, I was not sure that physics was my friend. It turned out that I probably could have done very well in the higher level course. The only real differences are that you cover some extra topics in PHYS 121 and there is more calculus in PHYS 121 (if you don't feel comfortable with calculus you may struggle in PHYS 121). If you REALLY REALLY want to apply to Optometry though, I'm afraid you're stuck with the "hard" physics.

As far as electives go, I took first year calculus and psychology. I found PSYCH 101 to be a GREAT elective, because it was not terribly difficult and it is a pre-req for almost every other psych course. For other "humanities" electives, I have taken French and music, and a couple of health studies courses. Health studies courses cover some really interesting material (I took "Social Psychology of Health Behaviour" and "Physiology of Coronary Heart Disease"), and I enjoyed both of them, but one caveat: they are the two lowest marks on my transcript.

Make sure that you understand the concepts in your first year science courses, because you will see them over and over again during your years at Waterloo.

I would recommend taking HIST 209 if you can. It is a history of medicine in Canada, and it gets into the creation of our health care system and how the medical schools came into being and stuff like that. It was not a heavy workload, and I thought it was interesting.

Anyway, best of luck at Waterloo next year! It appears that I will be sticking around for my 4th year and going through a second round of med applications, so you never know - I may see you around!

Nightrider

Guest babytiger

yes hopefully i'll see you around!

hmm. so health studies.. is considered as humanities??

if it is, i would like to take HLTH 101 - introduction to health studies. do you konw anything about this course??

so many questions. so clueless. heh

thanks again.

Guest Head Dawg

The HLTH series of courses are NOT considered Humanities. I believe Nightrider was just suggesting that they would be interesting courses to take.

I myself took HLTH 210 (Growth, Development and Ageing) - everything from embryology to gerontology - and and HLTH 407 (Physiology of Coronary Heart Disease) - interesting, but tricky.

Hope this helps.

- note: For my humanities I took PHIL 220 (Moral Issues) and PHIL 226 (Ethics and the Health Sciences)

Good luck in Sept - it appears there will be LOTS!!! of classmates for you!

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there,

Congratulations on your acceptance to Waterloo! As it turns out, it looks like I'll be a co-cohorter with you this year as I just received my Waterloo "you're in!" package yesterday. I decided to apply to a really neat little program that, in Ontario, seemingly is offered only by Waterloo--the Speech Communication Program. (In hopes, to take a few undergrad courses in this area to accompany the completion of the M.Sc. thesis, and sharpen the oration skills a bit.) Perchance, does there happen to be anyone out there who has taken any of this department's courses chez Waterloo, or has heard any gossip about the courses? If so, please share!

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest everyoneloveschem

Hi. It is great that you are taking chem!!! You should try to take the chem courses taught by Bissonette, he is amazing (they may only be for Honours CHem/Biochem, but I think you can worm your way in), AVOID Chieh!!!! In terms of Physics, I took 121 the first term and 112 the second term. I hated 121, it was only Calculus, which didn't appeal to me. On the other hand 112 was taught by a great prof, with lots of enthusiasm, though it was noticably easier (just in case you are hard-core physics). Just make SURE, EXTRA SURE, you take the one required by Opt. Go ask a Opt undergrad counsellor. In terms of humanities....For easy ones: Classics 201/202, Italian 291/292 (Italian culture/history taught in English), I took an art history course that was very interesting, but I think I was the only one interested (I was a fourth year in a first year class - go figure). Avoid the Music classes, they kill your GPA. I got suckered into using one of my precious electives on CS102 (Programming), which totally blew!!

On a different note, where are you living? In res? You must be excited!!! Waterloo is a nice little town and if you are into veggie food, try Jane Bonds near the Princess Cinema.

Guest ploughboy

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

Hash: SHA1

Hi babytiger,

As Dawg mentioned, HLTH courses aren't humanities. Humanities are taught in the Faculty of Arts, and they are "group A" courses. For the full list of group A subject areas, check out page 7:5 of the 2003/2004 undergrad calendar, or on the web at

www.adm.uwaterloo.ca/info...egree.html

On a related not, it would probably be a good idea to have a look through the undergrad calendar now, before school starts. In a pre-health program it should be trivial to fulfill the requirements for your degree while picking up meds pre-reqs, but the calendar also describes all sorts of options, minors, exchanges, etc. You might come across something that makes you sit up and say "hey I wanna do that!", but it might also be the sort of thing that will be difficult to do if you don't plan for it from 1st year. Just a thought.

By the way, I have a different opinion than ELC on music courses - I loved my music history courses (and they count as Humanities, group A iii). If you really like music and have a good ear they're actually pretty straight-forward.

pb

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----

Version: GnuPG v1.2.1 (FreeBSD)

iD8DBQE/Bxh//HNgbK3bC2wRArhYAJ0ee6LxB0WeDDFR4fjJa8qNMJZwMwCdHrzz

6L/KF28f+sKhjy1BOlsl5WE=

=KxLw

-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

Guest babytiger

among...

Ennis,Richard

MacLeod,Colin

Burris,Christopher

and does anyone konw about health studies course for year 1?? what is it like?

Guest babytiger

first of all, big thanks to everyone who's helpign me out

i'm just curious, MATH 127 is recommended as electives and in other universities calculus is mandatory course in the first year.

why is this??? are there lot of courses that require first year calculus?

and also.. to take statistics, do i need MATH 127 as pre-req??

i think i'll enjoy health studies rather than calculus. so i really need to konw whether i have to take this course or not for 2nd and 3rd year.

please let me konw.. EVERYTHIN you konw. hehe

later!

Guest Nightrider

Hey there,

So I took MATH 127 and 128 in first year, and to be honest, I haven't used them since. Actually, I've just about completely forgotten most of what I learned, because, really, who uses multivariable calculus on a regular basis?

The only reason I took it is because if I got into med school after third year, I could have changed my major to General Science and still met all the requirements for a bachelor's degree. Now it turns out that I am changing my major to Honours Science anyway (where calculus is a required course).

If you take MATH 127/128, you likely won't need them, but if you decide to change your major somewhere along the way, they can be helpful because they are required courses in a number of other programs. It is probably best to take them in first year while your high school calculus is still fresh in your mind.

I have a couple friends who took HLTH 101 and 102 and really enjoyed them. Apparently they are not a lot of work either (or so I've heard...I can't vouch for that personally).

As far as the psych profs go, I haven't had any of those guys, so I can't really comment.

Best of luck with all the course selection (and with Quest! :P )

Nightrider

Guest gonzo23

Hey babytiger!

I'm in co-op biochemistry at UW, and going into 4th year. I really liked math 127/128 (highest marks in uni) but only because I memorized the course notes. If you like math, they're good courses to take.

I know people who took both physics (111 and 121) and 111 is much easier (I took 111). I also know many people in optometry who took 111 and were fine getting in.

I really liked psych 101 and took it as my elective first year. If you have any interest in taking further psych courses, you need 101, and it's pretty easy.

I know this advice might be too late, but thought I'd give my input anyway. Good luck next year (I'll be in england on exchange in the fall). I'm sure you'll do great.

Guest babytiger

thanks for the info!!

hahaha.. i did select my course using QUest.

indeed, as people told me.. it was confusing. hehe

YAY for physics 111. i will try my best next year.

hopefully i'll see you all sometime??

it would be like.. pre-med get together!!! :D

later

• 5 years later...

Here are some electives that I have found pretty good

CHEM 140L - A 85%+ is easily attainable (I was a TA for this course)

CHEM 254 - Some found this course hard, but I didn't. You get four cheat sheets for the final, so if you make good ones, then the final is dead easy.

HLTH 101/102 - You have to do your work for this course, but if you do then an A is again easily attainable.

PSYCH 211

I have pretty much taken a lot of the general electives that people take, so if you have any questions, feel free to ask

O ya, I should tell you that I am entering third year at waterloo

Thanks for the suggestions. I've taken HLTH 102, I liked the whole 'no final exam' part the most :D

What program are you in, have you taken any CLAS courses?

I am in the Biomedical Sciences program, but I haven't been able to

take any CLAS courses (not enough room)

Go UW :)

Okay, one more question. What is the layout of Psych 101 with Ennis? Is there a final exam? I'm wondering what to expect. Any extra credit surveys?

PSYCH 101 was pretty easy, but it was a lot of content. I would not suggest procrastination for any of the midterms. I think you can make up 3 extra percentage points through the surveys. Ennis is a pretty cool prof who makes going to the lectures fun. As for the layout, i think there is a midterm, paper, and final.

PSYCH 101 was pretty easy, but it was a lot of content. I would not suggest procrastination for any of the midterms. I think you can make up 3 extra percentage points through the surveys. Ennis is a pretty cool prof who makes going to the lectures fun. As for the layout, i think there is a midterm, paper, and final.

I don't remember there being a paper. I do remember that a paper was optional if one didn't want to do the research studies, and could do a paper instead. The research studies were not EXTRA credit. They were free 5% which was included in the course if you did the studies. Midterm tests half the course, both lecture notes and textbook. Final tested whole course, but the content tested from the textbook was only for the second half of the course, but covered all lecture notes. Ennis was awesome, really funny and entertaining. Made 3 hours night lectures feel like a 1 hour lecture.

I don't remember there being a paper. I do remember that a paper was optional if one didn't want to do the research studies, and could do a paper instead. The research studies were not EXTRA credit. They were free 5% which was included in the course if you did the studies. Midterm tests half the course, both lecture notes and textbook. Final tested whole course, but the content tested from the textbook was only for the second half of the course, but covered all lecture notes. Ennis was awesome, really funny and entertaining. Made 3 hours night lectures feel like a 1 hour lecture.

O I forgot to mention that I took it in the spring term, so that is maybe why I had a different structure then the fall term. I just assumed that it was pretty similar.

• 1 year later...

I have pretty much taken a lot of the general electives that people take, so if you have any questions, feel free to ask

SPILL THE BEANS!!! :D Okay, I'm gonna confess and say that I'm looking for those electives that strike deep interests within my psyche and broaden my mind... nah joking, looking for the easy A :P

But seriously, if you woundn't mind, please share any electives you liked/disliked. I'm going into 3B of biomed. And do you have any recommendations for 300 or 400 level BIOL courses?

Thanks for any advice you (or anyone else!!) give!

• 1 month later...

Archived