Premed 101 Forums

Question for those taking waterloo DE or doing a second deg.

Guest jk995

Guest jk995

Hi everyone,

I am considering applying to the waterloo BSc DE program as a second degree student. I already have a Bachelors in Engineering but the marks are pretty low.

So for those taking DE at waterloo in BSC, here's my question, do you have to be enrolled full time for universities to consider those marks. And how do you find DE with working? Are you able to generally pull off good marks in the courses.

I am just finishing up a masters in Eng. and I am considering taking DE courses starting in january and working part-time/full-time depending on what i can find. The main reason I want to work is that if I don't get in after one or two years of DE, I won't feel as bad for just concentrating on that.

Also, I have noticed that some universities in Ontario will just consider your second degree if you do 3 years. But what if, due to the number of transfer credit, i finish in 2 years, will they still just look at my second degree?

Thanks in advance.

I think for the school to only consider your second degree, you must complete 15 courses in your second degree.

In addition to the DE courses, don't forget to fulfill the prereqs for most med schools, some of which that have a lab component may not be able to be completed distance ed.

It's also to remember that, other activities such as volunteering, outside involvement in the community etc. are also considered important components to your application overall and may influence your chance of admission as much if not more than your grades in your most recent degree.

I hope this helps :)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest jk995

Anyone know if j282 is correct regarding the number of courses you need to finish before they consider just your second degree. So 15 courses still means 3 years of courses... What if you finish before that?

thnx

Guest steak

I'm pretty sure that only applies to first degree or non(completed) degree applicants.

I checked with Western and Queens, as I am in exactly the same boat (finished BMath @ UW, MBA @ WLU, and just finished yr 1 of a BSC via DE @ UW), and was informed that two full-time years was fully sufficient - that's all they require of any applicant.

As always, your best bet, rather than potentially "wasting" 'x' years of your life due to someone's inaccurate advice, is always to check with the admissions office(s) of the school(s) you are interested in..

good luck,

steak

Guest jk995

Thanks for the response steak! It's good to know I'm not the only one with these plans. I just want to ask though, it seems that many schools require biology with lab, organic chemistry with lab, chemistry with lab. So I guess these can't be obtained through DE, which courses do you need to finish outside of DE?

And I guess the courses that you do outside of DE won't be counted towards your marks if you do it in the summer:(

Thanks again

Guest steak

true enough.. no labs via DE

thankfully, there are no required "classes" which are not available via DE through UW, so i won't have to take any on campus.

my plan, should i complete this next year and get the marks i need, etc, etc, etc.. is to enroll in just the lab component of the courses which i've taken via DE..

in an absolute worst case scenario (as i've gotten mixed feedback on enrolling in labs without being in the course at the same time) i can simply redo the courses as well..

enough other hoops to jump through that i kinda figured i'd wait until labs were a little higher on the list of priorities before tackling them..

Archived