Premed 101 Forums

Hello, 

Can someone tell me if Dal rounds your gpa to the nearest 10th from each year before calculating the average or is it just rounded after?

For example, say I have a 3.88 one year and 3.97 the next year. Would the calculation be 

1. (3.88+3.97) /2= 3.925 which is then rounded to 3.9

2. (3.9+4.0)/2=3.95 which is then rounded to 4.0

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

And in both cases they would round as shown above? In my case would it be as follows:

Y2 - 3.75

Y3 - 3.73

Y4 - 3.65 (11 courses) or 3.85 (Top 10) -- don't know if it matters for Dal

Y5 - 3.82

Best 3:

3.75 --> 3.8

3.73 --> 3.7

3.82 --> 3.8

------------------

Avg: 3.77 --> 3.8

Is that right?

Also does an OOP have a chance with this GPA? My ECs are on the strong side I think. Sorry for the questions. I just recently started looking at Dal as an option.

Thank you for the help!

That seems consistent with their rounding and "best three years" as described on their website.

Look through the interview invites to see, but I might remember seeing a 3.8 in the OOP invites. Is your MCAT high? It would likely need to be higher in order to compensate. And while your ECs may be strong, keep in mind that OOP invites are super competitive, so the EC bar is quite high. Check out the invites thread.

That seems consistent with their rounding and "best three years" as described on their website.

Look through the interview invites to see, but I might remember seeing a 3.8 in the OOP invites. Is your MCAT high? It would likely need to be higher in order to compensate. And while your ECs may be strong, keep in mind that OOP invites are super competitive, so the EC bar is quite high. Check out the invites thread.

Dal actually places a huge value on EC's and the essay and a lot less on MCAT and GPA. I strongly believe meeting the minimum GPA and MCAT for the OOP standards is all you need so long as you impress them in your EC's and essay.

• 2 months later...

Just a heads up.. under the best 2 years option I had an average gpa of 3.9 one year, and the next year I had an average gpa of 4.0. My resulting average for the two years (3.95) was rounded down to 3.9 for me on the transcript assessment page. :(

Can anyone else confirm that this is normal?

Think each year is rounded only to confirm that you meet the minimum GPA requirement for that year. I'm pretty sure the resulting GPA is your two years (or three) combined and then rounded.

Ex: 3.87 + 3.99 = 3.93 -> 3.9

If they were to use the rounded per year GPA, and then round again for your overall GPA, most people would have a gpa that was 3.X5 which would then be rounded up to the higher GPA, which wouldn't really make much sense.

I'm still in school. So only my 2nd and 3rd year GPA is counted.

I did good in one year but terrible on the other (i.e. 3.25).

Does this mean that my GPA gets rounded to 3.3 for that specific year?

Please let me know. Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Although you may want to check with the admissions office, I think you're fine (as long as your IP). Since they use rounded GPA, your GPA will round up to 3.3 which meets the cut (unless your GPA is actually something like 3.249 which in that case it would round down). The application will also calculate your GPA for you so it should tell you whether it considers that year 3.3 or not.

• 4 months later...

Hi,

Just a quick question regarding the gpa and Dal Med. Is it true that you have to apply a few times to actually get in?

Also, what sort of chances do I have to land an interview at least after I complete my MBA?

Stats:

Nursing degree gpa out of 4.0

Year 1 - 3.10

Year 2 - 3.0

Year 3 - 2.74

Year 4 - 2.86

MBA gpa out of 4.3

Currently enrolled in second year sitting at 4.3/4.3

RN experience over 5 years.

Volunteering for last 15 years

Healthcare management experience - less than 1 year

Age - 34

I really think you should contact them. On the surface they say a 3.3/4 in each year, and masters can count for a max of 1 year, but I have no idea if they make exceptions to this so I would ask the office. At worst, you might need to do another year of undergrad courses

Residents of Nova Scotia, New Brunswick & Prince Edward Island:

Minimum of 3.3 on a 4.0 scale in each year assessed.

The calculation of your GPA consists of the two consecutive most senior years of baccalaureate degree being submitted. A full course load of five full courses in each year is a requirement. If the degree program has been completed, the best three years out of four years of full time study could also be considered.

Master's degree assessment

Transcripts will be assessed as follows:
ALL course grades from the master's program will count as one year's GPA, PLUS your 2 best consecutive full-time undergraduate years (which must include at least one senior year - year 3 and/or 4).

Hi,

Just a quick question regarding the gpa and Dal Med. Is it true that you have to apply a few times to actually get in?

Also, what sort of chances do I have to land an interview at least after I complete my MBA?

Stats:

Nursing degree gpa out of 4.0

Year 1 - 3.10

Year 2 - 3.0

Year 3 - 2.74

Year 4 - 2.86

MBA gpa out of 4.3

Currently enrolled in second year sitting at 4.3/4.3

RN experience over 5 years.

Volunteering for last 15 years

Healthcare management experience - less than 1 year

Age - 34

I do not believe you meet the cutoff, regardless if you're IP or not. Your MBA will be counted as 1 year (not sure if they use just 1 of the 2 years, or average your 2 years and use that), but they will still look at your 2 best years of your Nursing degree. The minimum for IP out 4.0 is 3.3, and 3.7 for OOP. 

Thank you Sunny and Chels,

I am in province. Been living and working here in Truro for the last 8 years. 

So bottom line is that I won't make the IP minimum gpa cut off? Is that a hard written set rule or there are flexibilities around it?

Thoughts?

As far as I know, which is exactly what is written on the website, is that it's a hard cutoff. They need to set a minimum, and 3.3 is what they chose. If you are hoping to be get around this you aren't going to get a truthful answer from anyone but the admissions office. But keep in mind, they receive hundreds of applications from people with grades well above the cutoffs, so it wouldn't necessarily be fair to waive them for one person only, and I would remain open to the idea of taking another year of courses

• 2 weeks later...

I also have the same question. I currently converted my grades using the OMSAS scale. My third year average is 3.83 and my 4th year average is only 3.68. Am I still eligible for Dalhousie if I want to use my last two years? Does Dalhousie round each year assessed to the nearest tenth? Or do they actually round it at the very end (just my final GPA)?

Thanks guys!

• 1 month later...

Im an OOP (Ontario) finishing up my fifth year.

512 MCAT 
projected fifth year gpa 3.9 (98% sure it'll be 3.9)
4th 3.83
3rd 3.3

ECs are decent - Coaching, Tutoring, Hospital volunteer (100 hours in Paeds), Shadowing an othropedic surgeon (LOR given), Intramural Volleyball, Volunteer in a physiology lab for a semester, and a couple other day things here and there.

Does this label me as competitive for an OOP in general?? 
Would this be enough to get me interviews? 

512 MCAT 

4th 3.83

3rd 3.3

ECs are decent - Coaching, Tutoring, Hospital volunteer (100 hours in Paeds), Shadowing an othropedic surgeon (LOR given), Intramural Volleyball, Volunteer in a physiology lab for a semester, and a couple other day things here and there.

Do you have any connection to the Maritimes? It's really a gamble without it-possible-but hard to predict it seems. 

People get in it seems without one though!

512 MCAT 

4th 3.83

3rd 3.3

If in doubt apply. I have friends in the class with limited maritime connection who gained acceptance. You don't know until you apply. 

512 MCAT 

4th 3.83

3rd 3.3

I didn't have a strong Maritime connection, so I'd say definitely apply.

Archived