Premed 101 Forums

How Much Volunteering Experience Is Enough?

I'm in my third year (5 years program) and just recently started volunteering at a hospital and club works. I won't be applying until one year after graduation, which is 3 years from now. Do you guy think it's enough time to build up volunteering experience comeptitive enough to be considered?

Thank you so much everyone.

• 3 weeks later...

I have been volunteer since my first year of education. But I think two years it's enough to get some experience. It's very good that u decided to practice. The theory is very different from the practice. For me it was difficult to combine volunteering and study. Sometimes i have ordered some essays, course works, assignments, book reviews at http://www.bestpriceessays.com. Of course it's not very good for me, but services like this give me more time for volunteering. 

That subtle marketing though....

I followed the link and it's pretty good for a laugh. The website isn't even written in proper English.

It's also not even close to finished.  The FAQ page just has standard gibberish and the price page says everything is 12 dollars, haha. 

Their disregard for the oxford comma turned me away. 

LOL, some firm ran a job ad in the Ontario Reports last week that closed off with this:

"We are looking for lawyers who are comfortable with digital platforms (training provided), ready to work in a paperless environment and serious about meeting our very high service-delivery standards. Ideal candidates will be self-starting, entrepreneurial and motivated to grow with us."

I was like, "oh no, you didn't just do that!". 

My advice when it comes to volunteering is quality over quantity. You have a ton of time. Find a volunteer activity that you really enjoy and pursue it over that time span. In my opinion, commitment to one activity looks better than hopping from one volunteer gig to the next.

Another thing, there's no real recipe for being accepted to med school. I doubt if not having volunteer experience would be a red flag. Medicine is about clinical excellence, furthering the field through research, and teaching future generations of physicians. Most people will tell you that you can only do 2 of these well. Striving to do it all spreads you thin and makes everything you do look a little cheap. I suppose the point I'm trying to make is, pick a couple of things that you really enjoy doing and do them well. Commitment to a few activities over a long time-span looks better than a bunch of quick shot items on a CV. Plus, if you enjoyed doing them and someone asks you a question in an interview, you will never fumble. 

Archived