Jump to content
Premed 101 Forums

Recommended Posts

Did you apply broadly to other Canadian schools this year or only IP schools?

 

With your GPA & MCAT I'm pretty confident you would get a number of OOP Canadian interviews. In fact, some schools will literally only look at your GPA and MCAT so you're basically guaranteed interviews (Manitoba & Sask?). Do you happen to be rural by any chance?

 

I guess it comes down to how confident you feel with the new MCAT material and if you're someone who just tests well on standardized exams that emphasize applying concepts. In some ways, being among the first set of applicants writing the new MCAT could have its advantages because there isn't much to compare it to and schools may still be trying to figure out how to evaluate it.

 

If I were you though, I'd hold off on writing the MCAT. I'd apply broadly in Canada + US for next year and if next year still doesn't work out, then I would write the new MCAT.

 

Again, I have no idea if you're 3rd/4th year, non-trad, or your financial situation. That may factor into making your decision.

 

ETA: I noticed you're having trouble with interviews. You have to work on that for any of this to mean anything. Your stats are great but a piss poor interview will render them useless. Definitely try to practise with experienced people who can offer you honest critique and tips.

Link to post
Share on other sites

If you got in a US school, would you actually go to it and do you have a way to finance it? (I am currently in the same situation about whether to start a US application now)

 

Do you have any plans this summer (i.e. full-time job) that would affect your ability to study for the current MCAT?

Link to post
Share on other sites

All around, got interviews at Western, Sask, U of A and U of C. Interview waitlist for mac

 

I would go to America if I'm accepted, no second thoughts. No plans this summer as I originally planned to write MCAT if I got rejected but now I'm doubting my own plans.

If you got 4 other interviews, why dont you wait for those results to come out??

Link to post
Share on other sites

All around, got interviews at Western, Sask, U of A and U of C. Interview waitlist for mac

 

I would go to America if I'm accepted, no second thoughts. No plans this summer as I originally planned to write MCAT if I got rejected but now I'm doubting my own plans.

So i would relax for now my friend, and just wait. You are fine for applying this upcoming cycle at all schools (except alberta) if you don't retake MCAT. And to be frank, dont bother retaking. You can get into a lot of schools in Canada and the US.

 

But, don't count yourself out yet. I bet you will get into 1 of western or sask. 

 

And if not, re-apply next year to all the Canadian schools, and USMD midtier and top tiers. You'll be fine.  

 

With the options you have in Canada alone, I don't know if its worth all that time and effort to retake a 38 MCAT.  That is UofA's loss. And im guessing no interview at UofC?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Same story, my last cycle story.

 

Wait a few weeks, it's not too late to apply USMD in June/July.

 

1. Applied 10+ Canadian friendly USMD schools

2. Applied 10+ Canadian MD schools

3. Join toastmaster or other clubs to improve speaking and interview skills.

4. Get a job and/or volunteer to improve your social skills.

 

If I'm in your shoes (YES, I did in your shoes! I even waitlisted at Western last cycle)

I'll not rewrite new MCAT, because

 

1. Waste time and money

2. There's a chance your new MCAT score is not better than old MCAT 38 VR 11

 

You just need apply broadly to get more interviews and get accepted next cycle if you didn't get in this cycle.

(I think you still have good chance get accepted this cycle at Western and Saskatchewan, don't give up hope yet).

Link to post
Share on other sites

Do US schools wait to see your new MCAT scores if you take it again, or will they move forward with whatever MCAT you already have if you submit early? I.e. if you submit the application in July and write again in August, will they wait till the end of August to evaluate your app?

Link to post
Share on other sites

did you apply to us schools this year? any interview requests? i would take that as an indication of your chances in the us and weigh that with the interview requests from canada. i applied to the us this year as well and even with a relatively high mcat (37R) and an average gpa (3.7), and applying relatively early in the cycle, i got all pre-interview rejections. there may be something that isn't striking a chord with us schools and i'd consider that before delaying an extra year the chances at the ip schools.

 

if you think you have a chance at us schools, then apply and do that. the worst outcome is an extra year you take off before writing your new mcat. if you don't think you have that good of a chance at us, then write the new mcat and apply to canadian schools. your best chance will be at uofa, uofc, and uofs (because of your high mcat). you have a great gpa so maybe also take that year to figure out what other schools aren't liking (ecs? go volunteer. interview skills? practice a few times a day for a month).

 

did you make the uofs post-interview cut? results aren't out yet for offers/waitlist rank.

Link to post
Share on other sites

did you apply to us schools this year? any interview requests? i would take that as an indication of your chances in the us and weigh that with the interview requests from canada. i applied to the us this year as well and even with a relatively high mcat (37R) and an average gpa (3.7), and applying relatively early in the cycle, i got all pre-interview rejections. there may be something that isn't striking a chord with us schools and i'd consider that before delaying an extra year the chances at the ip schools.

 

if you think you have a chance at us schools, then apply and do that. the worst outcome is an extra year you take off before writing your new mcat. if you don't think you have that good of a chance at us, then write the new mcat and apply to canadian schools. your best chance will be at uofa, uofc, and uofs (because of your high mcat). you have a great gpa so maybe also take that year to figure out what other schools aren't liking (ecs? go volunteer. interview skills? practice a few times a day for a month).

 

did you make the uofs post-interview cut? results aren't out yet for offers/waitlist rank.

 

Yea I agree with the US school thing. I applied to basically every school that takes Canadians (even 1 or 2 per year) and actually received more interviews in Canada than US. US schools are by no means easy to gain admission to, they just look at different things.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...