Premed 101 Forums

Match Stats

Looks about the same compared to last year. Low spot-to-applicant ratio compared to the last decade, increased interest in family medicine, while surgery and EM remain competitive.

The CSA stuff is interesting. Confirms, with more detail than before, that if you want to do medicine in Canada, CMG>USMD>>USDO>>>CSA>>non-CSA IMGs. Not getting easier for those on the lower end of things either - despite a drop in the number of IMG applicants this year (presumably due to the NAC requirement), the match rate is, at best, staying level or slightly declining. For the second year in a row, the total absolute number of successful IMG applicants declined. Going abroad was always a risk and there were predictions that it would get riskier. We may be seeing the start of that trend.

Pretty pictures that I can use to prove to people that going to the Caribbean/Australia/Ireland with the intent of coming back is a bad, bad plan, excellent.

Also I find the statistics about the breakdown of unmatched applicants quite reassuring.

Surgery results this year were interesting. Ortho and neurosurgery were really non-competitive compared to past years. Urology too. Ophtho's still competitive, but not as much as it usually is. Rough year for those going for plastics (as always) and ENT.

Psych was fairly competitive, which is a shame considering the need for psychiatrists right now. I hope they consider increasing the number of residency spots there... Public health was also surprisingly competitive.

And while there were a number of people going for Family or Internal who didn't get it, those two remain the main "safe" bets, especially for back-up specialties.

Edit - Also, stellar second round matching across the board. The first round was kind of ugly, but the overall match rate this year neared 98% for current-year grads. Not too bad at all.

Edit #2 - Actually, some of the second round stats are contradicted in other tables, so not quite sure what to believe, though the overall match rate does seem quite strong.

Surgery results this year were interesting. Ortho and neurosurgery were really non-competitive compared to past years. Urology too. Ophtho's still competitive, but not as much as it usually is. Rough year for those going for plastics (as always) and ENT.

Psych was fairly competitive, which is a shame considering the need for psychiatrists right now. I hope they consider increasing the number of residency spots there... Public health was also surprisingly competitive.

And while there were a number of people going for Family or Internal who didn't get it, those two remain the main "safe" bets, especially for back-up specialties.

Edit - Also, stellar second round matching across the board. The first round was kind of ugly, but the overall match rate this year neared 98% for current-year grads. Not too bad at all.

Edit #2 - Actually, some of the second round stats are contradicted in other tables, so not quite sure what to believe, though the overall match rate does seem quite strong.

Some of the data across the different PDFs don't line up.... weird.

Psych doesn't seem to much more competitive to last year or am I screwing up my stars. Also anyone know why guys match much worse compared to women for psych?

Archived