Premed 101 Forums

Match Stats

I have updated the annual specialty competitiveness stats figure.

Can be found in the stickied post on this forum or you can just click this link:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8rn3p5fzisflnrk/AAAm0gAortygkfaTmwOd3-NKa/Year%20by%20Year%20Comparison%20of%20First%20Choice%20to%20Quota%20Ratios

Top 3 most competitive specialties for 2015: 1) Dermatology 2) Plastics 3) Emergency.  Same 3 as 2014 but different order.

Psych doesn't seem to much more competitive to last year or am I screwing up my stars. Also anyone know why guys match much worse compared to women for psych?

Psych this year was more competitive than last year. Check the anuual competitiveness stats figure in my post.

Psych doesn't seem to much more competitive to last year or am I screwing up my stars. Also anyone know why guys match much worse compared to women for psych?

Using the metric I prefer to look at (successful 1st round applicants going for that specialty), the Psych stats are about the same as last year. That's meaningful, however, since last year Psych was much more competitive than the previous cycles. Random years happen in most specialties where they unexpectedly get more or less competitive, but this year's result makes last year's look like less of a statistical anomaly.

• 2 weeks later...

If you guys don't mind, could I ask a question? For that match stats document, if there are 50 people for 1st choice for a program and 40 spots for the quota, it doesn't necessarily mean 40 people out of the 50 got matched right? Since there's a question of if all the quotas got filled because of locations and such? Are there stats on how many of those 40 got filled, and how many of those 50 applicants went unmatched for 1st round?

Yup! Keep going through the links, as far as I understand your post, all of the info is there. :)

Archived