Premed 101 Forums

Cutoff Gpa Vs Competitive Gpa For Ottawa-Outaouais Applicants

For this past cycle, the WGPA cut-off for Ottawa/Outaouais residents applying to the Anglophone stream was 3.70/4.00

Realistically, what do people think wGPA needs to be to have at least a shot at getting an interview for this category?

I just completed the first year of a second undergrad and my wGPA is now 3.85, what do you think? I'd appreciate any thoughts- I'm considering taking a shot at uOttawa next cycle, but don't want to waste the money/time/bother references if realistically I have no chance. I know waiting another year (assuming other schools don't work out) would make more sense since another year of the 2nd undergrad would really boost my GPA. But I went from SUPREMELY under the cutoff to suddenly eligible because of the year I have already done, so it's temping to try haha

Good question,

The Ottawa resident cut off is 3.70/4/0 like u said but in order to be competitive, 3.90+ is most likely needed. That said, there have been invites for people with 3.88 and 3.89.

In your case, a 3.85 is most likely not enough to be invited for an interview. However, that doesn't mean you shouldn't apply. Applying allows you to:

1) learn how omsas works and allows you to get all your ECS compiled (make sure you save the omsas file at the end so you can reuse it the following year)

2) learn how to get good reference letters and making sure that they can vouch for you

3) learn how to deal with rejected. If you get rejected (which is most likely the case) you'll learn how it feels to get rejected and get that initial shock out of the way.

Overall though, your focus shouldn't be on getting in next year but it should be making sure you get a 3.95+ next academic year,

Haha, oh I know the feel of rejection already! I have gone through the application process before, which contributes to my feeling that I don't want to go for uOttawa this upcoming cycle if I really don't have a shot :P  

I think you're right about the 3.90+, so it probably doesn't make sense to apply. But I just today realized I technically could, so again, very tempting lol 

Archived