Premed 101 Forums

Essay Help

Guest medgrrl

Guest medgrrl

I am working on my essays for October this summer (I know I'll be swamped with school by then!) Is anyone else doing the same? If so, how are you going about writing them?

I heard about this organization at called **********, where they can edit your essays and help you prepare for medical school. Does anyone know about this?

Guest Lactic Folly

Moi. I also hope to get as much done in the summer as possible (how much that will be is another matter entirely). For me, writing consists of brainstorming, developing a structure, and plenty of editing. I'm not familiar with MedApps.

Guest medgrrl

I just emailed them...they said they would edit my essay and give me advice about how to improve my chances of getting in (I showed them my resume and GPA, etc) They are priced very reasonably ($20 for consultation, $20 for essay editing). I highly recommend ***************

Who here is applying to U of T???

Guest Kirsteen

Hi there medgrrl,

That sounds exceedingly inexpensive. Be careful--buyer beware! :rolleyes

In response to your question, again, I'll be one of those UofT applicants this year.

Cheers,

Kirsteen

Guest UWOMED2005

Yeah, you always gotta be wary of such "help" and don't think at all you'll be getting your money's worth! I have a friend who applied to Mac and got a family friend who'd been on the admissions committee to go over her essay and was super confident sending it off. . . it ended up getting a percentile ranking of something like 12th percentile, and no interview. So much for getting someone on an admissions committee to look over your essay.

There's no "trick" to admissions that those of us in med school have learned and used in our essay. There's no perfect med school admissions essay. . . it's all about being well written (grammar, spelling, sentence structure,) having some cool shiznit to say, but also just happening to have the right essay that impresses the particular few individuals at each school who read your essay. And there's no way someone can say they're editing (other than for grammar and spelling, which your mom could do) will make a big impact on whether you get in.

Guest Ian Wong

Edited the above spammer's messages, which he/she first posted about a week ago under a different login name. Your advert isn't welcome here; please go elsewhere to "sell" your services.

Ian

Archived