Premed 101 Forums

Hi guys,

I'm finding myself in the totally unexpected and very lucky position of sitting on offers from both UBC (SMP!) and U of C. Since UofC gave me the news over two weeks ago I had become really excited to go there. But now I'm starting to have doubts about the shorter program and faster pace (an no breaks! ah!). I feel like I'm familiar with the many positives of attending SMP but can anyone point out some of the trickier aspects I should know about before making my choice? This is tough info to gather because everyone seems to focus on the great parts of their particular program. While I can totally appreciate the optimistic attitudes I'd like to know that I have the whole truth before diving in.

Any comments would be very welcome! Thanks!

Exact same problem. Checking in for answers. So far from what I see, I almost enjoy the "lack" of basic sciences at the U of C program. Being the guinea pigs for the new curriculum at UBC is also kind of freaky. I talked to people on this forum (many from UBC) who are now in their fourth year and they said if they could go back they would do a 3 year program since they are bored/burned out now. I don't know what to make of it honestly and am pretty torn. The only thing I know for myself is that imo Vancouver is a nicer/funner environment than Calgary (subjective)

Hi guys,

I'm finding myself in the totally unexpected and very lucky position of sitting on offers from both UBC (SMP!) and U of C. Since UofC gave me the news over two weeks ago I had become really excited to go there. But now I'm starting to have doubts about the shorter program and faster pace (an no breaks! ah!). I feel like I'm familiar with the many positives of attending SMP but can anyone point out some of the trickier aspects I should know about before making my choice? This is tough info to gather because everyone seems to focus on the great parts of their particular program. While I can totally appreciate the optimistic attitudes I'd like to know that I have the whole truth before diving in.

Any comments would be very welcome! Thanks!

Talking with a few peers at UofC, they seem to have a really good set up in terms of making things clinically relevant. 3 years is short, but you're also doing things more relevant from the get go. So it does have pro's as well. Looking at CaRMS data, they match just as well as anywhere else, so that isn't a concern for limiting your opportunities.  Do you see yourself happier amongst the UofC class, or the SMP class? Is there any pull from either Kelowna or Calgary for being closer to existing support networks?  

UBC also has more in the way of basic sciences for the first term - so if that would be an issue for you, that would be something to consider. As well the new curriculum change, which has many upsides but with anything new, it will likely have growing pains. 

Also, if you feel like you want to move through undergrad faster and "get on with it" that may be a plus to the 3year program.

For some reason a lot of docs I have talked too, always suggested shorter training. My GP(a UBC grad from 20 years ago), even said a lot of his graduating class headed out to Saskatchewan for the 1 year FM residencies to avoid the 2 year residencies back home, and he commented "even 1 year felt too long", thats an extreme aside - but many of them always comment that you learn more in practice than in training. That could be a tangent to UofC making things more clinically relevant from the get-go. 

At one of my US interviews, Calgary was actually mentioned for their clinical teaching program and McMaster(for the advent of MMI), when I brought up i was Canadian.

That's all I can say, I am obviously biased towards UBC though :P But if you have options, then definitely consider them.

In the same postition. Today I accepted my offer to UBC IMP. Calgary was extremely tempting, especially as an older applicant. In the end though, my heart has always been set on BC; it's my home and where I know I will be happiest and where I want to be long term. I actually love the idea of being part of a brand new curriculum, especially if we have input on it as it moves along.

SMPer here. I interviewed at Calgary and was ultimately rejected, but really had my heart set on it. Of course I'm pleased as anything to be here in Kelowna, but I would have taken UofC if I'd gotten it, purely for the three year program.

Please feel free to message me, especially if you are SMP.

U of C aside, I've heard that medical students and residents receive a lot more attention from the attending staff in Alberta due to the difference in fee structure. In short, physicians have more of an incentive to teach students so they tend to give them a bit more attention. Also, Alberta Health Services is years ahead of the strange multiple health authority structure in BC. I would imagine this unification in health services in Alberta would reduce the unnecessary overhead of having to deal with Providence Health, Fraser Health, Vancouver Coastal Health, etc like it is in parts of British Columbia. I know that all my friends that are attending/have attended U of C have zero regrets.

U of C aside, I've heard that medical students and residents receive a lot more attention from the attending staff in Alberta due to the difference in fee structure. In short, physicians have more of an incentive to teach students so they tend to give them a bit more attention. Also, Alberta Health Services is years ahead of the strange multiple health authority structure in BC. I would imagine this unification in health services in Alberta would reduce the unnecessary overhead of having to deal with Providence Health, Fraser Health, Vancouver Coastal Health, etc like it is in parts of British Columbia. I know that all my friends that are attending/have attended U of C have zero regrets.

Hmm, that would actually make a lot of sense haha. A few docs i've talked to said they ignore UBC's requests for preceptors since it's a financial sink for them. This of course was when i mentioned I wanted to teach eventually as well - some jaded responses, but I suppose they have their own merits.

SMPer here. I interviewed at Calgary and was ultimately rejected, but really had my heart set on it. Of course I'm pleased as anything to be here in Kelowna, but I would have taken UofC if I'd gotten it, purely for the three year program.

Please feel free to message me, especially if you are SMP.

Congrats on finally getting into ubc kylamonkey

Archived