Premed 101 Forums

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been doing stress math all weekend, people.

If you were invited to Mac's MMIs, you can reasonably assume you're in the top 300 of the 1000+ applicants according to sgpa*. This year, that group stretches anywhere from 4.0-3.63. You can then make a wild speculation about your potential rank amongst that group (because there's no way to confirm that those gpa scores are evenly distributed or where the limits are).

Based purely on the collective number of seats (Mac:65, Toronto: 89, Western: ?), the top 200 of that group can expect to get in SOMEWHERE in Ontario even if they're waitlisted at first**,***

*Assuming that most applicants applied to Mac as the common factor.

**Assuming that most people applied to multiple schools in Ontario. If you applied to one school, you are so brave and confident. Jealous.

***Also assuming that those people have sufficient volunteer experience and no red flags in their references.

**** Unknown variables: research? relevant vs transferable skills? Awards?

*****Queen's is an outlier and should not have been counted.

Questions for further research include: how do acceptances from other schools influence the top 300 pool in Ontario?

I really hate math and waiting.

Keep in mind that schools send out more acceptances than they have seats

So an 85 class at uoft sends around 100 admission offers..if you factor that in your chances are even higher

Also, Mac gets the most applications of every school (usually be a few hundred so that would also be weighted)

If you were invited to Mac's MMIs, you can reasonably assume you're in the top 300 of the 1000+ applicants according to sgpa*. This year, that group stretches anywhere from 4.30-3.63. You can then make a wild speculation about your potential rank amongst that group (because there's no way to confirm that those gpa scores are evenly distributed or where the limits are).

Based purely on the collective number of seats (Mac:65, Toronto: 89, Western: ?), the top 200 of that group can expect to get in SOMEWHERE in Ontario even if they're waitlisted at first**,***

**Assuming that most people applied to multiple schools in Ontario. If you applied to one school, you are so brave and confident. Jealous.

***Also assuming that those people have sufficient volunteer experience and no red flags in their references.

Questions for further research include: how do acceptances from other schools influence the top 300 pool in Ontario?

Such an interesting read..... my goodness, haha.

I actually didn't understand the "This year, that group stretches anywhere from 4.30-3.63" part.  are these numbers GPAs?

Be sure to check your emails at midnight! Here's a timeline to help you out of when I received waitlist offers and declines last year:

Keep in mind last year invites were set to go out May 16.

Queen's: May 14 @ 11:00am (two days early)

UWO: check student.uwo.ca website with your log-on, last year website was updated at 12:00am of May 16.

Mac and Toronto: emails sent out by 12:10am.

Hope this eases people's minds! There's nothing you can do until that time so just wait patiently and know that you did your best! Best of luck everybody.

If you were invited to Mac's MMIs, you can reasonably assume you're in the top 300 of the 1000+ applicants according to sgpa*. This year, that group stretches anywhere from 4.0-3.63. You can then make a wild speculation about your potential rank amongst that group (because there's no way to confirm that those gpa scores are evenly distributed or where the limits are).

There are some attributes of each school that may change how much of the top 300 at Mac are distributed. UofT has limitations on what courses you can take for upgrading your GPA and it also seems to be the most popular choice of the schools in Ontario. Western has no limitations on courses for upgrading your GPA but mostly relies on GPA alone for the application (this is my assumption because they don't say how much your written portions matter and it's fairly new). The interview at Mac probably scares off some applicants that would apply to the other schools (crippling social anxiety and the confidence of your GPA). There is also the PBL curriculum that some people avoid (change is scary and people don't like the idea of teaching themselves for 2 years).

With these assumptions, maybe a little more people will go to UofT, a little more people will decline their offers from Mac and Western evens out (but less popular than UofT).

What do you mean by UofT has limitations on what courses can be used to boost GPA? Hasn't the sGPA already been calculated and taken into account prior to the CAP?

UofT requires any courses taken after your undergrad to be at least 3000 or 4000 level to be calculated in your sGPA. I am sure that limits some people from applying there.

And yet someone may have met the cutoffs for the CAP using the sGPA that was calculated by taking into account courses that may have been taken after undergrad that were below 3000 or 4000?

Yeeah of course lol. I am sorry if I caused you distress haha. If you have taken courses under 3000 level after your undergrad they will just not count. you can still make the sGPA cutoff for the CAP without that course.

The 3000 course limitation was made for next year's application cycle.

And mcmaster is the most popular option by the numbers

You are right, Mac does have the most applicants. I did not expect that at all. The 3000 level course limitation i am pretty sure was made already. It was the reason why i didn't get to the CAP. The 2016 changes are for prerequisites requiring a B grade and other minor things. I wonder why Mac receives the most applications... 

You are right, Mac does have the most applicants. I did not expect that at all. The 3000 level course limitation i am pretty sure was made already. It was the reason why i didn't get to the CAP. The 2016 changes are for prerequisites requiring a B grade and other minor things. I wonder why Mac receives the most applications... 

Not so sure about UT rejecting people with repeated courses and having to take courses over 3000 level.. I admit I graduated two years ago and took a handful of second year courses after that to make up my 60 credits. I wrote the CAP.

Queen's: May 14 @ 11:00am (two days early)

UWO: check student.uwo.ca website with your log-on, last year website was updated at 12:00am of May 16.

Mac and Toronto: emails sent out by 12:10am.

Has anyone else not received anything at all from UWO for PT since applying? (I neveer got log-on information...)

Archived