Premed 101 Forums

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Has anyone else not received anything at all from UWO for PT since applying? (I neveer got log-on information...)

Check your spam and junk. If you're a UWO student already it will be the same log-in as your undergrad. The email was sent March 23, 2015 and titled "Your ORPAS Application to Western University (Physical Therapy)"

Not so sure about UT rejecting people with repeated courses and having to take courses over 3000 level.. I admit I graduated two years ago and took a handful of second year courses after that to make up my 60 credits. I wrote the CAP.

your sGPA must have been still above the 3.80 cutoff??? I took a bunch of second year courses and my sGPA on orpas was calculated as a 3.81 but i didn't get a CAP invite. The only explanation i could think of was them not counting the courses i took that were under 3000 level. 

Am I the only one slightly bothered by how the PT cutoffs this year were basically the same as med school...

Yeah, it's getting pretty crazy. Not only the rise but how fast it is rising. Applying to physio just 4 years ago would be a breeze compared to now. 

So your orpas calculated gpa was 3.80 or higher and you didn't get an invitation?

Mac also has the most lax prereqs so that could be why they get more apps

Yup, I had a 3.81 gpa and thought the only reason i didn't get an invite to the CAP was because of the courses i took under the 3000 level.

Everyone take a deep breath. We have done everything we could do. On Friday (or sooner) many of us will be very happy, and others will be very sad. Let's try to remember the grand scheme of things. I was with a patient today who might never be able to move her arm again. That's devastating. And there is nothing she can do about it (even physio at this point won't help regain total function). So let's remember that if we don't get in, we try again. Resilience is an important trait for our patients, just as important as it is for us. 

(Now I can go back to panicking as well haha)  :) 

There are some attributes of each school that may change how much of the top 300 at Mac are distributed. UofT has limitations on what courses you can take for upgrading your GPA and it also seems to be the most popular choice of the schools in Ontario. Western has no limitations on courses for upgrading your GPA but mostly relies on GPA alone for the application (this is my assumption because they don't say how much your written portions matter and it's fairly new). The interview at Mac probably scares off some applicants that would apply to the other schools (crippling social anxiety and the confidence of your GPA). There is also the PBL curriculum that some people avoid (change is scary and people don't like the idea of teaching themselves for 2 years).

With these assumptions, maybe a little more people will go to UofT, a little more people will decline their offers from Mac and Western evens out (but less popular than UofT).

All true! Other things to consider would be that not everyone is willing to pay the very expensive cost of living in Toronto for two years. There's also a very small chance that a new grad may get a job in that area because the market is pretty saturated. On the other hand, grads from other schools might have an easier time using the connections they make during their placements to find their first job. Lots to consider!

I applied to OT for this upcoming Sept 2015, and my sub-GPA calculated my ORPAS is on the lower end (3.61), I just received all of my marks from my second semester and ended up getting 4.0 in all of my courses which would raise my sub-GPA to 3.79. If I emailed/sent my transcript to the schools that I applied to, would they even look at this (since they only use marks up to Dec 2014) or should I give it a try (since this average is significantly higher than the one currently on record ) ? 

I applied to OT for this upcoming Sept 2015, and my sub-GPA calculated my ORPAS is on the lower end (3.61), I just received all of my marks from my second semester and ended up getting 4.0 in all of my courses which would raise my sub-GPA to 3.79. If I emailed/sent my transcript to the schools that I applied to, would they even look at this (since they only use marks up to Dec 2014) or should I give it a try (since this average is significantly higher than the one currently on record ) ? 

Unfortunately no they wouldn't look at the grades. but wow I applaud your efforts in getting those 4.0's that's just impressive. You have a good chance of getting in this year anyway, but hypothetically speaking if you don't, then you'd kill it next year :)

I think it helps me to know that other people who are applying really, really want it. Thinking of people who are applying to these programs as back ups that they haven't really looked into or are ambivalent towards makes me more frustrated.

Agreed. But I've always been that way - seeing people freak out before an exam always did the same to me. I've checked my email inbox so many times that I've memorized the subject lines and dates of each of my last 10 emails. Hm... Maybe I need to take a walk. 

All you can do is try your best! Last year I was rejected but I've already got a spot at U of A for 2015 :). (Preference is is Ontario)

I took a year off and I worked towards making my application stronger, and applying across Canada. For those of you who get bad news tomorrow, you will figure out plan B :) good luck to everyone !!

Archived