Premed 101 Forums

Waitlisters Unite

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it seems as if they always start at 3.97 for the wGPA off the waitlist because they take people with really high wGPAs from the 3.5 interview category for acceptances on May12. It seems this year they started with the 3.5 category.

I think every year they start from 3.5. If you look at last year the person who got in with 3.97 got the call at 1.30 pm. It makes sense cause this year they sent out those 3.99 offers at 10:30 and I am sure they got to 3.97 at around 1-1:30pm.  

I strongly believe that interview categories are the average of the interview scores that each interviewer assigns you. They each assign you a value between 0 and 4 but your interview category is the average of the three scores! Let's say one wants to give you a score of 4.0 but the other panelist believes that your score is a 2.5, and the third person wants to give you a 0. How are they going to decide on what score to give you?

I strongly believe that interview categories are the average of the interview scores that each interviewer assigns you. They each assign you a value between 0 and 4 but your interview category is the average of the three scores! Let's say one wants to give you a score of 4.0 but the other panelist believes that your score is a 2.5, and the third person wants to give you a 0. How are they going to decide on what score to give you?

Guys, remember this is only the first interview group. They usually dip into the 2nd or even 3rd interview group, so don't lose hope. Many people got accepted the second day in previous years (which correlates to tomorrow) and end of next week too. I still am unsure whether to agree with the average of the interview scores. Perhaps what happens is the interviewers discuss each interviewee's performance and then come to a consensus. They did say during orientation that interview scores are in increments of 0.5.

What i was trying to say is i think in the past few year first offers were given to all people in the 4 category and the top people from the 3.5 category. But this year it seems not one in the 3.5 category got an offer on may 12.

That could be incorrect. They started with 3.99 so maybe individuals with 4.0 got offers from the 3.5 interview score. Remember interview performances vary from year to year. And yes they started with 3.97 last year (or so we assume out of those who posted on the forums), but it very well could have been 3.99 last year as well just that no one posted.

Guys, remember this is only the first interview group. They usually dip into the 2nd or even 3rd interview group, so don't lose hope. Many people got accepted the second day in previous years (which correlates to tomorrow) and end of next week too. I still am unsure whether to agree with the average of the interview scores. Perhaps what happens is the interviewers discuss each interviewee's performance and then come to a consensus. They did say during orientation that interview scores are in increments of 0.5.

I agree with you on that the interview scores are in increments of 0.5 but I think it would be a bit difficult for a doctor, a community member, and a fourth year student to come to a consensus on every single case.

Congrats on your acceptance doctorfresh! 

ok. I may call tomorrow to see how the interviewed is scored . To see if there are distinct categories or 4, 3.5, 3 and so on or if the number can be in between because of an average. Does anyone have any other questions they would like me to ask?

Thanks, that's great. Can you ask whether they plan to send offers on 29th too? 

Also are we able to ask adcoms what kind of movement they expect? (Aka lots of spots open or not?) anyone done this in the past?

I don't think there was a lot of waitlist movement today guys. Chantal was out of the office for a meeting today and so I doubt she was able to call or email many people. I am sure there'll be a big wave tomorrow as I have a feeling there was a small wave today. Crossing my fingers for all of you. I know facebook is not a good indication, but there was hardly anyone added today whereas in previous years the group would fill up quite a lot the days waitlisted offers were sent as those who were accepted off the waitlist had a lot of questions and catching up to do and they could find the answers in that group.

I was thinking the same thing. I posted asking why there was so much silence across the board and this is what someone posted- "People who've accepted on OMSAS have mentioned it takes a day or so for OMSAS to process requests. Maybe now all the schools are going through the lists to see who's left and who to call so we'll hear more tomorrow? Or maybe they'll start up later in the afternoon".

Archived