Premed 101 Forums

Waitlisters Unite

• Replies 421
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does it ever happen that people get accepted off the waitlist before the 2 week deadline (May 26)? I have another acceptance (for which I am incredibly thankful) but this was my first choice. So is there any hope that I might get into Ottawa if I wait until the last minute to accept that offer?

Does it ever happen that people get accepted off the waitlist before the 2 week deadline (May 26)? I have another acceptance (for which I am incredibly thankful) but this was my first choice. So is there any hope that I might get into Ottawa if I wait until the last minute to accept that offer?

looking at last year's thread I don't think so. with that said I'd still wait the 2 weeks just in case. congrats on your acceptance!

So I just spent the last bit reading the entire waitlist thread from last year and this is what I got from it:

• Omsas had a ~3 day lag which caused the waitlist to be a bit slower since people who already accepted other schools offers were being called
  • If you get called off the waitlist you have 1 week to accept
  • The big bulk of the waitlist movement started the day after the 2 week deadline - in our case the 27th

ALSO! something to add, based on the previous waitlist movement it seems applicants are given an interview score and offers of admission are made within each interview score category, in descending order using wGPA as a tiebreaker. So anyone who is accepted off the waitlist please provide your wGPA so we can get an idea of what to expect!

Don't mean to rain on our parade, but there seems to be an abnormally high number of people on the "good" wait list (and few, if any, on the "bad" wait list). Did anyone from the "good" wait list not receive their email around 7:54 +/- couple of minutes? Acceptances were staggered, perhaps the "good" wait list was as well and all the 7:54 people are on the bad wait list?

There seems to be less activity this year across the board on the forum. I'm not sure what the cause is though it's possibly the forum upgrade cost us some users and we're left with the more publicly vocal people. And, as expected, people with bad news will likely not want to post. The UT forum in particular is remarkably silent which just makes me feel there are less people using this forum overall compared to previous years.

There seems to be less activity this year across the board on the forum. I'm not sure what the cause is though it's possibly the forum upgrade cost us some users and we're left with the more publicly vocal people. And, as expected, people with bad news will likely not want to post. The UT forum in particular is remarkably silent which just makes me feel there are less people using this forum overall compared to previous years.

and yet we had 800+ people on the forum today at 10:30. That is a lot of people :)

Well the email says the first 116 candidates have been notified.. So I'm hoping its 116 offers to 116 candidates, and then us waitlisters. God I wonder how long the waiting list really is :(

I am also curious how many people they usually accept off of it (10 vs 50)?? Wow, this is stressful. 

I am also curious how many people they usually accept off of it (10 vs 50)?? Wow, this is stressful. 

I believe it's closer to 50. Keep in mind that a handful of applicants that are good waitlisted at Ottawa will accept other schools so the original good waitlist that Ottawa formulated before first round of offers is much bigger than the good waitlist that Ottawa will have on May 27th (deadline for first round of offers). They obviously anticipate this and make the good waitlist larger to accommodate. Going off of previous years, big round of waitlist offers should start out on May 27 and continue on to May 29th. A week after that, there'll be a few more round of offers due to those who decline waitlisted offers.  

Additionally, in the past Ottawa has rarely offered waitlist offers prior to the deadline to accept original offers. On the other hand, other schools like UofT and Queens have began offering waitlist offers prior to the deadline to respond to schools. If you think about it, this is really good for those on the Ottawa waitlist.

I believe it's closer to 50. Keep in mind that a handful of applicants that are good waitlisted at Ottawa will accept other schools so the original good waitlist that Ottawa formulated before first round of offers is much bigger than the good waitlist that Ottawa will have on May 27th (deadline for first round of offers). They obviously anticipate this. Going off of previous years, big round of waitlist offers should start out on May 27 and continue on to May 29th. A week after that, there'll be a few more round of offers due to those who decline waitlisted offers.  

So would you say that if we don't get an offer between May 27-29th , then our chances are slim?

So would you say that if we don't get an offer between May 27-29th , then our chances are slim?

Well, they probably are able to offer all vacant spots after the May 26th deadline in the days remaining in that week (they may extend it to the following week, who knows). There will obviously still be people who decline the offer (potentially because of being accepted to an OOP school), but the vast majority will accept according to previous threads. (and it makes sense). Since they give one week for waitlisters to respond to their offers, there would be another round of offers that will be smaller a week later. And even smaller a week after that. Even if you don't get an offer on May 27-29, you still have a chance, I can't say how big or small because it probably varies from year to year and those stats aren't available.

Thanks! In general, would you say the chances are high to get in from the good waitlist?

I would say your chances are pretty good since there are several people who reject their uOttawa offer and several people who are waitlisted will remove themselves off the waitlist in favour of another school.

Some people on this forum have mentioned that approx 50 people get in off the waitlist for the english stream (and 10 for the french stream).

Additionally, on a thread created last year, someone mentioned that an applicant got off the bad waitlist!

So don't lose hope :)

I would say your chances are pretty good since there are several people who reject their uOttawa offer and several people who are waitlisted will remove themselves off the waitlist in favour of another school.

Some people on this forum have mentioned that approx 50 people get in off the waitlist for the english stream (and 10 for the french stream).

Additionally, on a thread created last year, someone mentioned that an applicant got off the bad waitlist!

So don't lose hope :)

I know these are all speculations, but in your opinion how many applicants are "good" waitlisted at Ottawa? And is there a difference between being "good" waitlisted at Ottawa versus being waitlisted at another school? 

I know these are all speculations, but in your opinion how many applicants are "good" waitlisted at Ottawa? And is there a difference between being "good" waitlisted at Ottawa versus being waitlisted at another school?

Well, people on this thread have mentioned that it is possible that half the people that are not accepted, are waitlisted. But this is just a speculation, not a fact.

In terms of your second question: other schools have diffetent ways of divinding their waitlist. For ex, western divides their waitlist into three parts (high, normal and low waitlist) and NOSM tells their students what rank they are at on the list. So being on a good waitlist simply means you are most likely closer to the top of the list...but I find it difficult to compare the ottawa waitlist to another schools waitlist. However, maybe you can say, for example, that being on a good waitlist is like being on the high waitlist at western.

I saw on last years thread someone called the admissions office to ask about waitlist movement or something along those lines. They were notified that there would be less waitlist movement since more people than expected accepted their offers. Who's brave enough to call the office haha. Although by now they probably don't have a good gauge. Maybe by May 26th they'll be able to give an accurate answer to that!

Archived