Premed 101 Forums

2015 Waitlist Support

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Low waitlist means pretty much no chance, right? Just responded with my contact info now. I couldn't managed to send off an email yesterday.. 

Politely reminded them that I was SWOMEN and just got a 3.99 on my 2nd year of my second undergrad that I'll be graduating in June. Heh. A man can dream, right?

Wow at that GPA. Seriously impressive. Do you feel like it was your interview that held you back? Also (sorry if it's unrelated), but if people do a second undergrad, Western doesn't require a 4 year one like the first?

Who knows... The plan was to do this second undergrad and apply after 1 year so that I could get a conditional interview. My first UG was 4 year Medical Sciences and just completed 2 year Honors Genetics degree. The second degree can be a 2 year. At least my grades are solid enough that I should get more than 1 interview next year.. Who knows though.

So the new updated Dean's report for the Class of 2018 is out for reading if anyone is interested! Apparently 422 applicants were interviewed in 2014, with 88 SWOMENs interviewed and 67 SWOMENs being offered acceptances. Seems like slightly less SWOMEN applicants were interviewed/offered acceptances in 2014 compared to the few years before that. If the trend is similar this year, I wonder if the non-SWOMEN waitlist movement will be a little bit better this year?

http://www.schulich.uwo.ca/docs/about/dean_report_2014.pdf

uwo_guy,

That's a great GPA. I'm sorry to hear that you haven't gotten an acceptance yet. I honestly don't think that your MCAT is low (look through the accepted/rejected/wait listed thread), especially given that you have SWOMEN status, so it's most likely the interview. Although being placed on a low waitlist is very disappointing, there is a category below that as well at Western - immediate rejection.

You've great stats, so don't give up!!!

Thank you, I appreciate the kind words. Sorry to hear your status as well. Good luck getting off the list! I thought the interview went quite well actually. Felt like I had a good rapport, conversational approach, etc. Goes to show you never know. 

I don't see any other reason why.. I personally spoke to people in admissions several times over the past 2 years and think I made a solid impression. I have a 33 MCAT so that could be holding me back (11/11/11). Who knows... They suggested that I do this second undergrad and apply after 1 year so that I could get a conditional interview. My first UG was 4 year Medical Sciences and just completed 2 year Honors Genetics degree. The second degree can be a 2 year. At least my grades are solid enough that I should get more than 1 interview next year.. Who knows though.

Thanks for the response uwo_guy, I didn't know that. Looks like you've got solid stats however, I definitely think you'll have better luck next year.

So the new updated Dean's report for the Class of 2018 is out for reading if anyone is interested! Apparently 422 applicants were interviewed in 2014, with 88 SWOMENs interviewed and 67 SWOMENs being offered acceptances. Seems like slightly less SWOMEN applicants were interviewed/offered acceptances in 2014 compared to the few years before that. If the trend is similar this year, I wonder if the non-SWOMEN waitlist movement will be a little bit better this year?

http://www.schulich.uwo.ca/docs/about/dean_report_2014.pdf

Wow only 422 applicants? Anyone have a guess on how many were interviewed this year? E.g. any med students who volunteered have a guess? I honestly can't remember - it all happened so quickly.

442 was the number interviewed :)

Really? Thanks! Is there anything you don't know?!

Also, are there different waitlists for swomen vs. non-swomen?

And yeah I agree with rmorelan - I would assume they would factor in any advantages for SWOMEN applicants prior to ranking everyone - I'm guessing it makes it easier when extending offers to waitlisters because they'd only have to look at one list as opposed to two.

Oh I remember this from last year's thread, but if a facebook group has been created, we can estimate an upper limit on how many spots are left based on how many people have joined that group (and subtract any upper year med students from that of course).

Oh I remember this from last year's thread, but if a facebook group has been created, we can estimate an upper limit on how many spots are left based on how many people have joined that group (and subtract any upper year med students from that of course).

and inexact but also fun calculation exercise. Just remember there are a lot of course of current students in the group usually - all there to welcome you to the fun!

Just wondering, am on the high waitlist and the letter states:

"If you have plans to be away for any period of time between now and August 25th, 2015, please ensure that you have disignated someone to be your "Authorized Contact", who can provide answers and/or decisions of your behalf. Failure to provide all contact information (telephone numbers and/or authorized contact) may result in you missing an offer of admission.

My question is I will be away off and on over the summer - will they not rely on cell voice message or e-mail? as I will have access to both?

I think they meant it for those people who are travelling and won't have reliable service (or may not be using the same number), so in that case they would contact whoever you say would be willing to take a message for you.

Their first means of contacting you will always be calling your phone number (because they won't be keeping track of if you're away or not). If you think 100% you're going to be able to have access to your phone, and if you don't want to give them another contact, it should be fine.

Archived